Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Carbaholic

12K views 244 replies 28 participants last post by  kb65 
Any of you carbaholics out there have an Autolite 4100 1.08 for a manual transmission car that is before a July 13th 1964 assembly date? I have three but the closest I've gotten is July 28th or something.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive lighting Machine

Message received! Two of the three I have I would consider good, one for certain was removed from a running 289, the other looks good is free but probably needs to be gone through, the other everything but the choke is seized. :( they are all 1.08s from 1964, only one has a tag. The runner as far as I can tell is unmarked besides the 1.08 circle. The others have, IIRC, C4ZF on the base. I can take more photos once I'm home from work if anyone is interested in finding out more.

Wow - I like that. I don't have enough knowledge to confirm whether it truly is from 64/65 - but if I had money burning a hole in my pocket...
Agreed. My pay day is tomorrow, but the mortgage comes first sadly, and I would never be able to tune that set up myself!

Race carb. Didn’t have provisions for PCV, so I put one in it

View attachment 855224
Looks like nice work! I finally did some screwing around on my Holley. Starts a lot better, stumble mostly gone. Only 10" of vacuum though. But at least it's steady.

Next step is I think I need to retime it. Part of my problem was I had the advance hooked to manifold vacuum. Seems to like the timed port better. I also adjusted the squirter cam position.

Only issue now is I borrowed my timing light to my neighbor to use on his boat. He then sold the boat. And forgot my timing light in the hull!

Yeah, gotta have timing & PCV all squared away. Ignition all has to be 100%, no vacuum leaks, fresh gasoline, stable fuel pressure. Without all of that, carb tuning is just chasing one‘s tail.

Tell me more about your motor, maybe I can help with that stumble.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Electrical wiring
'66 289 .030 over, balance and blueprinted, factory cast iron heads (ported/smoothed I'm told) 10:1 Probe flat tops, Comp Cams high energy FS 268H-10, pertronix III ignition and flamethrower coil, factory dizzy, motorcraft plugs, Holley 4776-7, 1" open spacer, edelbrock performer dual plane, long tube headers, billet flywheel, centerforce clutch, 3spd that someday will be removed for a T10. Factory fuel pump (never got around to upgrading but it seems to do the work) anything else? Possibility of a 302 crank/289 rods, but doubtful. Had the pan off a number of years back, think it's still 289 stuff.

You‘ve built a nice piece, lots of good parts 👍
First thing I’d do (after sorting out the ignition/timing) is try a four-hole spacer. Really strengthens the vacuum signal. I suspect the transfer circuit is a little lazy; a different spacer just might wake it up.
Thank you, I'll track one down and see if it improves anything.

@ArizonaGT Is this big Holley worth saving? Is it anything special? It's missing the choke set up if it ever had one. 4781-5TA, maybe 6TA? Hard to read. 2284. Two metering blocks, double pumper, looks like mech secondaries.
Motor vehicle Machine Engineering Gas Automotive wheel system

Light Motor vehicle Engineering Auto part Space

My caliper is at work, the plates are stamped 180, but it looks close with the yellow tape, not very precision.
Tire Helmet Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Guitar accessory Ruler Office ruler String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.