Vintage Mustang Forums banner
181 - 200 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I've got one of these on the shelf. It's a lot of carb but I got it a couple years ago for about 2/3 for what they go for now. Considering sending it to AED or C&S (or.......????) to get the most out of it. Annular booster conversion? Should I consider modifying it myself? I'm not scared of carbs, but I learn something new about them all the time and that makes me think I don't know enough to go all voodoo and magic on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang GT. 11.898 @ 113.646, all motor, three pedals
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I've got one of these on the shelf. It's a lot of carb but I got it a couple years ago for about 2/3 for what they go for now. Considering sending it to AED or C&S (or.......????) to get the most out of it. Annular booster conversion? Should I consider modifying it myself? I'm not scared of carbs, but I learn something new about them all the time and that makes me think I don't know enough to go all voodoo and magic on it.
Mine is a few years older (before they started branding them XP) but this is the exact same thing. Hint: the factory calibration is waaaay over emulsified. Once you find the combination that your motor likes, these are nasty carburetors 😉

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Engineering Gas

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 · (Edited)
Oh, and stick with down leg boosters on that 650. Venturii are too small to support annulars. Also, these Ultras don’t have a PCV port. But there’s a fix for that, too 😉

Guitar accessory Automotive tire Musical instrument accessory Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Dumb question: is there a specific squirter to use with annular boosters?

I changed the main body on my carb for one with annular boosters, but kept the squirters from the original main body. Them things are pointed right at the side of boosters, so that 1/3 of the fuel getting squirted in deflects of the side of the booster outwards.

Or is that just a thing with these type of carbs?

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Dumb question: is there a specific squirter to use with annular boosters?

I changed the main body on my carb for one with annular boosters, but kept the squirters from the original main body. Them things are pointed right at the side of boosters, so that 1/3 of the fuel getting squirted in deflects of the side of the booster outwards.

Or is that just a thing with these type of carbs?

Yep, you’re good with what you have. Annulars displace more volume (physically larger) so the pump shot ends up spraying the side. Which is of no consequence as ‘shear’ instantaneously atomizes the fuel as it hits the booster.

Annulars are an interesting animal. The tuning window tends to be narrower compared to down leg. But when they’re right, they’re really right 😎

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Specific to big 4150s with annular boosters: I’ve messed around with tube-type and anti-pullover nozzles and found little to no gain. Standard shooters do the job just fine 👍

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yep, you’re good with what you have. Annulars displace more volume (physically larger) so the pump shot ends up spraying the side. Which is of no consequence as ‘shear’ instantaneously atomizes the fuel as it hits the booster.

Annulars are an interesting animal. The tuning window tends to be narrower compared to down leg. But when they’re right, they’re really right
Ok, that’s good to know.

Appreciate you dropping the knowledge!

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
@jdub

If you really want to jump into the deep end, you can run that linkage 1:1 if you have enough motor 😉

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
1,531 Posts
Check out what @kenash is running!
I had my Performer RPM ceramic coated in a silvery color. I left my AL heads bare, my block is black, powder coated the timing chain cover in black, have an endura-finished Eddy WP. I went for the black/silver color theme.
View attachment 861906

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Looks like your putting in a hard day.
Right? Lol 🤪

That said… I bust my a** all week doing my ‘day job’. I do that because I have to. This hotrod stuff is work I want to do so I throughly enjoy every moment of it 😎

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
What does "over emulsified" mean? To me it means the fuel is more aerosoled than it should be before entering the booster. That's a wild guess. In any event, how do you fix it? Change the bleeds in the metering block? All the carb instructions say specifically NOT to do this if your an average guy like me. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
What does "over emulsified" mean? To me it means the fuel is more aerosoled than it should be before entering the booster. That's a wild guess. In any event, how do you fix it? Change the bleeds in the metering block? All the carb instructions say specifically NOT to do this if your an average guy like me. :LOL:
Yeah, they’re pretty firm about not messing with air bleeds. Of course that’s one of the first things I mess with 😜

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yeah, they’re pretty firm about not messing with air bleeds. Of course that’s one of the first things I mess with 😜
We once had an author and cameraman show up at ft. Bragg and we were given instructions to "give them everything they want". As the gunsmith I was handling all weapon related things. They wanted to shoot some photos through an AN/PVS 4 night weapons sight but it didn't match up with the camera so I took it apart. The boss came along while they were taking photos and said to me; "I didn't know you work on night vision devices". I replied "I don't". His next questions was; "can you get it back together?". My response was: "We'll cross that bridge when we get there."

No guts, no glory right AZ GT!

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
1,531 Posts
We once had an author and cameraman show up at ft. Bragg and we were given instructions to "give them everything they want". As the gunsmith I was handlung all weapon related thing. The want to shoot some photos through an AN/PVS 4 night weapons sight but it didn't match up with the camera so I took it apart. The boss came along while they were taking photos and said to me; "I didn't know you work on night vision devices". I replied "I don't". His next questions was; "can you get it back together?". My response was: "We'll cross that bridge when we get there."

No guts, no glory right AZ GT!
There's a member on here who has something along the lines of "I'll become an expert once I completely destroy it" as a signature/tagline. As a building maintenance technician, I relate to that a lot!

I've yet to figure out how to add something like that to the bottom of my posts. Maybe it's a premium thing.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Interesting that Holley North America tells you to NOT touch the air bleeds, but Quick Fuel Australia encourages it. Go figure. I will say… that without a through understanding (and a lot of hands-on R&D) of emulsion circuits, Holley is probably right in discouraging the average grease monkey from doing that.

181 - 200 of 224 Posts