Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the idle adjustment screws are on a 1985 holley 4 barrel? Also, the accelerator pump on my front pump seems to be not working, as well as the fact that the butterflies will not open. If this carb seems to be irretrievably broken, will the edelbrock 750 I got for my 408 work on my slightly hot 302? I just want the car to run. Running a little slugishly is better than not at all.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I've never played with a 80's holley, but on many emission carbs the idle screws are under plugs

That 750 would be ridiculously oversized for a warm 302

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Find the list number of the Holley on its airhorn and post it...

Is it a conventional Holley like you've seen so many times here and elsewhere? You can see the general outside appearance by looking at some of the engine shots on the race car page.

Most Holley's like that have idle screws on the primary metering block, one on each side, but, as was mentioned, on some carbs they are covered by caps or adjust backwards of normal (emissions)...

The Edelbrock will work but might be a bit doggy on acceleration due to being a bit big for the engine...

Get back to us...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
85 was the last year of the carb and was a pain due to emissions. But one advantage was that you can adjust the air/fuel ratio on each barrel/venturie (sp?). But you have to drill out the plugs on the base plate first. IIRC it is real close to 600 CFM. Why do you say that the accelerator pump is not working? What is causing the butterfly valves not to open and is it the front or rear? From what you have said, sounds like you just need a rebuild. The 750 CFM is too big to work efficiently but should work, you might need to jet it down a bit. It depends on the single strength.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts