Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last 12 months I have had this continual problem. About every 3 months a piece of carbon will brake off (I guess from under the intake) and get lodged in the opening of the EGR valve, and won't allow it to close. By this happening, it idles erratically and wants to stall at every other light.

Each time I've had to pull off the EGR valve and pick the carbon out so it will close properly. It's a pain in the butt to get to, not to mention very time consuming to pull this out and put it back, just to flick a piece of carbon out, which takes 1/2 a second. (If you ever worked on a Chevy Astro, you know what I mean). Last time I didn't have the time to deal with it, so it cost me $65 bucks to have the carbon chip picked out of the EGR.

The place I take the van, when I don't have time to work on it, says they can clean all of the carbon out of the system with a chemical flush for about a $150 bucks. Another friend of mine says it can't be completely cleaned out unless you take the intake manifold completely off for cleaning.

Honestly, this van has 135,000 miles on it, and I don't want to spend the $150 unless I'm assured it will cure the problem 100%, and definitely will not be taking the intake off. Is there any home remedies I can take to keep the carbon from entering the EGR? How about store bought flushes, chemicals I can buy to clean the system myself?

I've thought about pulling the EGR valve and placing a fine stainless steel mesh or screen over the inlet to keep the carbon from entering, but not certain if it would be to restrictive or even doable.

Any suggestions?

I know it's not a Mustang or Ford, but figure it's a pretty common problem that can effect all makes and models.

Doug

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board</font color=red>

[color:blue]A wise man never knows all, only fools know everything... hehe</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
'I've thought about pulling the EGR valve and placing a fine stainless steel mesh or screen over the inlet to keep the carbon from entering, but not certain if it would be to restrictive or even doable.'

FORD has released for service an EGR Carbon Trap for just exactly the problem you are describing. It is a screen mounted beneath the valve to prevent carbon from being drawn into the system. I am sure the manufacturer of your automobile (or large parts jobber) has something similiar.

BTW-The procedure you describe for carbon removal is known as an Injector Service. It will most likely NOT help with your situation. The EGR passages usually have to be cleaned by probing wire (coat hanger) after intake manifold removal.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I called the chevy dealer and they never heard of anything like that. Figures.... being a chevy and all.

Anyone know where I can look up service bulletins and such somewhere on the net? I seem to recall a website, but can't remember the address. I'd like to see if chevy has put out any new information on how they may have rectified this problem, which sounds like a pretty common problem after talking to the dealership.

Doug

[color:blue]A wise man never knows all, only fools know everything... hehe</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Don`t feel like The Lone Ranger-Few in a FORD dealer knows what it is either.

What year and model of rust bucket...er...Chevrolet do you have?

G

·
0 Posts
Go down to your Local Friendly Chevrolet Dealer and speak with a service advisor. Have him print out TSB`s 96067 and 96067A. It seems GM has had a little problem with your application if was built with the Linear EGR System.

The dates on these TSB`s was 06/01/97 and at that time extended customer service 7years or 75000 miles was offered. There may be a later TSB or field fix.

BTW-If you drive a new Windstar...You will throw rocks at that thing...:)

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out tomorrow.

BTW, What's wrong with the windstars? When my chevy went in for service a couple of years ago, I requested a windstar from the rental agency, and actually enjoyed driving it and was contemplating purchasing one next time around.

Are they a mechanics nightmare, like the chevy astro is?

Doug

G

·
0 Posts
I meant you would throw rocks at the Astro...I NEVER refer to a FORD product as THING...

The Windstar is easy to service...It was the Aerostar that was nightmare to service.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had a 94 S10 4x4 with the same engine in it and I had the exact same problem sometimes a piece so big would get lodged that the truck would almost die the idle was so erradic. I became an expert at removing the EGR, just whip out the extension and wobble adapter 10 mm if I remember right. I was afraid to let my wife drive the thing, anyway that was my first and last Chevy. The screen sounds like a good idea, good luck!

1965 Silver Blue 2+2, 289 2V, 3 speed
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/007/LA/Kx/pV/6k71151.jpg

·
Registered
786 Posts
My son has a 94 Chevy S-10 4x4, it has the linear EGR problem. The carbon had gotten stuck between the EGR valve and wouldn't allow it to shut off. GM had just come out with an EGR gasket with a built in wire screen sandwiched between the gasket. That was their fix for the problem. So far it's working. This occured last October I believe.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
70-Coupe,

You don't recall the part number for the egr filtered gasket, do ya? They don't seem to know anything over here. I am going to check with the service dept. tomorrow on the TSB numbers posted earlier, but who knows if that dept. is any better at finding things.

Doug

·
Registered
786 Posts
I sent a response to you through E mail, but not sure they make it. So I will post my answer here also. It was my son's car, and when I asked him for the paperwork, he threw it away - he has a lot to learn. Anyhow, if you can't find the part number, let me know, and I will call the dealer Thursday and get the part number from them. If I have time today, I will call just in case you don't find it.

Good luck, let me know.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts