Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, around here you have to think about these things, even if it is an unnusual 24 degrees right now, i will have to think about storing the car for about 5 months and will not be starting her up as frequently as in the summer. So my main concern is the Holley sitting a top of my intake, besides the usual gas stabilizer, anything else i should be doing to avoid problems come the spring...I always had injection Mustangs before, so i'm new to this vintage 'Stang carb thing..

·
Registered
713 Posts
Start your car with the fuel line disconnected and drain the line into a jar, and run it until all the fuel is run out of the carburetor. Keep the car as warm and dry during the winter and prime the carb next spring before you start her up again with a fresh supply of gas. That means draining your tank next spring and I hope you kept the tank full of gas over the winter so that condensation did not get in the tank and eat away with rust. :eek:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I'll be putting the car away after this weekends track time at HPT. I add stabil to the last tank of fuel, run the car and then remove the carb and empty the fuel cell. Works every year and in the spring I just fill it back up, prime the carb and it fires right up.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car will be stored into a heated garage, and i usually keep the heat at around 70 degrees....i always taught that the stabil stuff prolonged the life of your fuel for about 6 months....anyway's that what i was doing with my injected 'Stangs before, i would keep an almost empty gas tank and put stabil and then run the car for a few minutes and then let it sit until the spring...do i really have to remove the crab ?

·
Registered
436 Posts
This is just my experience... I never did anything special for winter storage. I didn't drain the fuel, I didn't use Stabil, I didn't worry about the oil. I DID however, start the engine once a month and let it run at high idle for about 15 minutes (mostly to keep the battery charged so it wouldn't freeze). Since your garage is heated I don't think you should worry at all.
Now that I live in the south I drive it year round!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On dry winter days i will probably drive it around the block just to keep the spirit....and the motor happy...

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
I do fill the tank, do the fuel Stabil stuff, and keep it covered in a heated garage (that occasionally gets opened to let the driver car out).
Just to make the 289 happy (and me), every couple of weeks I fire it up to blow any nasty dust out of the exhaust pipes...
Oh, on that note, another trick I picked up somewhere was stuff a sock over the exhaust pipe outlets. Discourages mice and other little critters from making a nice homey nest to clog up your pipes in there!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If there is a mice in my garage, things are gonna turn nasty in there... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts