Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
Got a question on carburetor connections. I have an Edelbrock thunder series AVS2 650cfm carburetor, according to the instructions on the very front of carb in the middle towards the bottom is the PCV port hook up for 3/8" hose, I have my PCV hooked up on the back port which is labeled as "power brake port", I was told by a friend who has had his 66 mustang for 25yrs that is ok & that's how his is hooked up. Just wondering if anyone else has theirs this way? I planned on leaving mine this way & plugging that front pcv port but just having some concerns since instruction book has that front port labeled as such? It does seem where PCV hose is that it would make sense for it to connect in the back but curious as to how others have done it & their experiences

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't see what difference it would make they are both large intake manifold vacuum ports. Put it in the back where the original PCV port was and block off the front port. That carb is probably made to fit all kinds of makes of automobiles.

Your PCV valve is a vacuum leak, A power brake booster is not a vacuum leak. Maybe its not a good idea to use the same port for both. You might get a weaker signal with booster hooked in with the PCV valve. Just a guess?????

What did Ford do with the Mustangs with boosters? Actually I have one I have never looked at. Hold-on. I'll be right back. That did not help at all. I've had this '70 Boss 302 for a little over a year and never sat inside of it. Its being used as driveway art. This is a real "G" code boss 302 with 17 options delivered new to Ford's Detroit Headquarters for what reason I do not know? One of two Boss 302s in coral red with this freaky multicolored cloth interior interior. I have a Boss 302 engine rebuilt with a Cross Boss intake and carb I bought from the neighbor and this Boss 302 has a 351C so I bought it to put the Boss motor in.

The story I got that was passed down from previous owner was a guy had a '70 black Mach 1 and it got destroyed. So he bought this Boss 302 and started turning it into his 'black Mach 1. You would need be insane to do that, He must have loved that Mach 1. There is an entire extra black interior in the back seat for the conversion. I have never even looked at any of it. He put a Mach 1 grille in it. That might even be his 351c engine.

The PCV valve, why does this not surprise me on this car. This fits the theme of what else has been done to it. The booster goes to a "T" in back of the intake and the entire PCV system is gone???? Must be one of those rare PCV delete cars Ford never made. I learned something today about one of my own projects. What a mess. I didn't even know that nice Holley was under there. Never looked under the shaker.

There is something very special about this car. It has a couple weird body things making me think it was some kind of factory test car.

Here is an older thread on the same PCV subject.

Brake booster vacuum source pcv vacuum source

Attachments

·
Registered
11,152 Posts

·
Registered
37,794 Posts
Edelbrock recommends using the front port for PCV. However, many people use the rear port for PCV and it works fine.

Vintage Ford Guy, hard to tell from the picture, but the engine in your car does not appear to be Boss 302 engine.
It's not. It's a 351C or 351M/400.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Edelbrock recommends using the front port for PCV. However, many people use the rear port for PCV and it works fine.

Vintage Ford Guy, hard to tell from the picture, but the engine in your car does not appear to be Boss 302 engine.
I did mention it had a 351 in it now. That's why I got it cheaper, not cheap, just cheaper. I have a couple Boss 302 motors I can stick in it. This one is rebuilt with 100 miles on it. It was just stored for 40-years and looks like crap. Its pretty on the inside. I bought this engine, a 427 side oiler completely built from "all" NOS parts. A complete 1957 "F" bird's factory superchargeg 312 engine and his Bonneville 200 mph, Boss 302 Roadster It all came from my 90 year-old friend and neighbor. I got the good friend deal and my 401K had a good year! Plus this can't loose 13% of its value in a week like what happened two weeks ago,

The size of those ports always amaze me.

Here is a Mustang Dilemma do I go with the shaker hood on the Boss 302 or put a regular hood on and go with this Cross Bass setup? I might need to make a shaker adapter. That would be a first. I use to go stare at this engine year after year and dream of the day when it would move to my garage.

Or I have this 201 mph Boss 302 motor in the roadster. It might need to be de-tuned for the Mustang, It has Dry sump oiling, Yates Nascar heads, he thinks it has 14:1 compression, he can't remember. I use to go watch it run, Now its garage art. Best sounding small block Ford on the planet. Whatever come after vicious? I will never live long enough to finish all these cars. I think I'm up 17, I don't even know? Its a sickness?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts