Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a completely restored1965 Mustang with a straight 6 engine and auto trans. The shop that has handled the restoration for me has not been able to get past a carb. issue that has haunted them as well as ourselves since August 2019. The car is clmpletely done now except for this one issue. It has this little ole 1 Barrel Stock Carb and they have purchased I cant even tell you how many and can never get past the hesitating and the engine dying upon acceleration from a dead stop...this issue continues...this is proving to be the Mustang from hell...Lol...JK....has anyone else ever experienced this issue before or perhaps know any other brand carb. that will work well in place of the Stock carb. Or maybe any secret to this issue that one might not mind sharing with me so we can get this little jewel past this bump in the road? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Is it the right carb for your vehicle? The carb and distributor share the load for advancing the curve. There is no vac-advance on the distributor. The carb and distributor must match, as in being the right type for each other to get the advance curve functioning correctly. So, what carb is on the car? Is it a generic replacement or the original rebuilt? Pictures help.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hesitates and dies upon accelleration from a dead stop. Is this when you accelerate gradually or when you put your foot to the floor? or both?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have no suggestions. YLEXOT asked above about the model of the carburetor. That would help. Seems strange that the restoration shop couldn't figure this out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no suggestions. YLEXOT asked above about the model of the carburetor. That would help. Seems strange that the restoration shop couldn't figure this out.
Yes Sir, Im trying to get that info from the shop now to relay to him...and Yeah I thought the same thing since they are suppose to specialize in this sorta thing. Thank you for your attempt to help...Appreciate your comment...

·
Registered
280 Posts
i have had similiar issues although with a V8 which may be slightly different, Im a novice at best. I know you said that it is restored but has any work been done on the engine at all, maybe a different or rebuilt cam, Intake manifold. You could have a vacuum leak somewhere

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Check vacuum line/hose between carb and autotrans. Could be loose or even disconnected.

Once again we could use pictures of side of carb and side of distributor. Also distributor vacuum diaphram could be torn. (The biscuit thingy on the side of the distributor.)

And check timing with a timing light. Shouldn't be hard to sort out. The six cylinder is a simple design.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try and get some pics sent over to me from the shop so I can add them here...the car is approx 60+ miles from me at the shop.

·
Registered
34,625 Posts
From '65-67 you could find two distinct carburetor/ignition system combinations on the small six.

The first was the traditional Autolite 1100 1V carburetor WITHOUT a "Spark Control Valve" (see photo below) and a Autolite dual-advance distributor having both centrifugal (mechanical) and vacuum advance mechanisms.

The second was the Autolite 1100 1V carburetor WITH the "Spark Control Valve" (see photo below) and a Autolite "Load-O-Matic" distributor with JUST vacuum advance.

BOTH components need to match. The Load-O-Matic system won't work with the NON-SCV carburetor (advance will be full on all the time) and the dual-advance distributor won't work properly with the SCV-equipped carburetor, although this combination won't be anywhere near as bad as the former.

Autolite 1100 WITH "Spark Control Valve". It's the roundish "doo-hicky" just to the left of the threaded vacuum line connection dead center.

Autolite 1100 WITHOUT SCV. Note the absence of the afore-mentioned "doo-hicky".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts