Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a carburetor question for the group: I recently purchased a project '67 Convertible, A-code, 4spd. The engine is original, and came with a (most likely not original to the car) 4300 that was missing many pieces (the intake and valve covers were loose too, but that's another story...). At this point, I'm trying to see if I can get the engine running, so I'm replacing the intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, distributor, and carburetor. The carb question is this: Do I need to re-use the existing spacer that was beneath the 4300? This is the carb I am using: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-rm08500vs . It came with a mounting gasket that is about 1/4" thick. I may have to go with longer mounting studs if this is the case, just wondered if anyone else had run into this. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
i wouldn't mess with any of those other things yet, you're more likely to cause a problem than help anything.

Does the spacer on it now have the tube port for PCV in the back?
You might need it to get the linkage up and away or give a better angle for it all.
I'll say there is generally no downside to using the spacer, only positives, use it.

GYST-Cowboys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wouldn't mess with any of those other things yet, you're more likely to cause a problem than help anything.
As I noted, with the exception of the distributor, the intake and valve covers were loose. And by loose, I mean no bolts, no gaskets. The distributor is a corroded hunk of metal, missing the cap, coil, wires, rotor, and probably needs the points gapped to boot ;) .

Does the spacer on it now have the tube port for PCV in the back?
You might need it to get the linkage up and away or give a better angle for it all.
I'll say there is generally no downside to using the spacer, only positives, use it.
GYST-Cowboys!
Yes, there is a port for the PCV on the rear of the spacer, and the new carb has a provision, as well. I'm not as worried about linkage angle, as I'm just trying to get the engine running at this point, but that is a good thought to keep in mind. I'll go ahead and order some longer studs, I'll need'em sooner or later. Thanks for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts