Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping some of you guys could give me some advice regarding my carburetor. To start I recently had the Carburetor rebuilt, the fuel pump replaced and the whole thing properly adjusted. The vehicle started and ran fine for about a week. Then on Tuesday I went to start the vehicle and it would turn over but, would not start and sounded as if the engine was flooded. After trying several times I notice a strong smell of gas, then noticed a whole puddle of fuel under the car. Seeing this i pushed the vehicle out of the garage to a better vent elated area, popped the hood and removed the air filter. I then allowed the vehicle to sit for about 30 minutes and tried again. When I did I noticed the engine would crank and just as it was about to turn over fuel would squirt out of the two intake holes just in front of the butterfly cover. I checked the vacuum caps, and found all were fine, then tried again. Still same result. I then thought the float was stuck and tried to tap the outside of the bowl with the back end of the screwdriver hoping that would loosen the float. Still no results. Now I have the car stuck outside on the driveway with a tropical system in the gulf that could be headed my way. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just went through the exact same thing with the rear two vent tubes. It turns out my float was shot and had to be replaced. It was a replacement neoprene one that the PO had put in, and once I replaced it the problem stopped immediately. I don't know if the front and rear floats are interchangeable, but if they are you could switch them and see if the problem moves to the back. If so its the float. Or you could have dirt under the needle that is causing it to stick open and let gas continue to pour in.

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Your float is stuck for sure.

Give the area above the fuel filter a couple good raps with a ratchet or similar. This usually will dislodge the float. If it doesn't, then take a pair of vise grips or similar and pinch off the rubber hose between the filter and the steel line. this will prevent more fuel from entering the carb. Get in, hold the pedal to the floor and crank it over. It may take a couple tries, but she should eventually fire off. Rev it a couple times to clear it out and get it back in the garage.

You may want to get a new float and a needle & seat assembly to fix this problem permanently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts