Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 70 Mach 1 has a 351C 4V with a C6 transmission
Has headers, Edelbrock Torker, mild cam, full MSD ignition system and a 750 Double Pumper. Seems to be way over carburetor'ed
What is your opinion on what should be on the car?
Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a 70 393C stroker, FMX, airgap,msd,trickflow,355 in back. full roller 602/612. Currently have a 780 working very well. I would go 680 ss quickfuel vac secondarys.
Thats a lot of carb, most likely not to responsive. Try changing your timing, clevelands love advance. bump your initial incrementally up to around 18 if it wont ping and be all in around 2800 rpm.32 degrees.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Try a vacuum secondary carb with the auto.

As for a 680, it will likely use a 650 carb body. I am running a 670 (650) on my 302 and on the dyno, measuring vacuum, it was not too big with the vacuum secondaries. At least at WOT. Although my car runs great driving around too.

I just read the other day on here that Clevelands want more carb. I can't speak to that and if a 670 (650) is working on a pretty hot 302 I guess it could work on more mild 351c. But if it were me? I'd probably go 750 with vaccum secondaries. At least that's what I'd try first.

·
Registered
854 Posts
That 750 DP is probably a little much and a vacuum secondary carb would probably be better with an automatic transmission.
But if you want to try something cheaper than a new carb get a 1 inch 4-hole spacer and an assortment of jets for tuning.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Do you have an AFR gauge installed so that you will be able to see the air/fuel ratio as you're driving? If not, consider putting the money there first. It is nice being able to see actual ratio numbers.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure is a lot of Carb makers out there these days. Is Holley still one of the best?
Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
35,151 Posts
Most likely just needs to be tuned. An early 351C-4V won't be over-carbed with a 750... if anything a well-modified 351C-4V might need a bit more.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
203 Posts
Most likely just needs to be tuned. An early 351C-4V won't be over-carbed with a 750... if anything a well-modified 351C-4V might need a bit more.Reply
I agree, probably just needs tuned. Have you pulled plugs to look at them

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
If you're looking to downsize, I have a very low mileage aluminum body Holley 670 Street Avenger on the shelf after my EFI swap that I will part with. You're not that far from me. Shoot me a PM if interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts