Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a tech yesterday, and he said something that I took at face value, but never really thought about. He said that osme carburetors simply dont like single plane intakes and only work properly on dual plane intakes because the signal is stronger on a dual plane.

What would dictate which carb would work with which manifold? Booster style? Transition slots? What? The boosters in my 80457 are pretty crude, and I can see where low signal would cause them not to work.

What should people look at in a carburetor they intend for a single plane? I have my Demon 650 coming to me on a Demon tech's recommendation, so I am not concerned, I just wonder if they were pulling my chain on the whole "not made for single plane intakes" thing.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I've got my Demon 750 on a single plane Edelbrock intake, and I've got no idea what the heck I'm doing. Runs fine though ::

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The 80457 and the 1850 Holley cards are twins. The 1850 was developed for the 1958 430cid Lincoln. Never a performance application type carb.
Folks bought it cause it was a cheap entry level carb.
It was designed for dual plane manifolds. With the proper work it will run on the single plane manifolds. But I wouldn't waste my time doing the conversion.
I find it interesting that so many people buy this carb and then complain about it. Then they spend 2x the cash to buy a Demon and rave how superior it is to the Holley "crap".
Had the homework been done they could have purchased the correct Holley and been quite happy.
I hope the demon works out better for you

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I posted elsewhere that the carb I had worked well with the dual plane intake I had. I plan to keep it for future use.

I guess I dont know how to pick carbs.. which Holley 600-650CFM vacuum secondary carb is good to use on a single plane intake?

EDIT: the 80457 is listed as a "street" carb, with the 1850 listed as a "street/strip" carb.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just wondering, would a Holley 3310 (750 vacuum secondaries) be too much carb for your motor if it were jetted down a bit? Just interested as I have one sitting in a box awaiting rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts