Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carlisle big fall event is October 2-6.

If you are going for one day, which day do you attend?

I’m not buying or selling a car - I’m not looking for anything specifically - I am attending as an observer (it’s just a fun event) and a parts purchaser of whatever looks interesting and can be acquired for a good deal.

I’m thinking Thursday or Friday.

Is there a best day to attend?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
As a veteran of many many Carlisle events, I would say Thursday is the best. The vendors get there mainly on Wednesday or early Thursday. You have the best chance of finding some treasure there before the next guy on Friday or Saturday! It is also noticeably less crowded. I drag along a small flip open hand truck from sears with a kitchen trash can bungy corded to it, In that, I throw some sunscreen, a small drink cooler with 2 cold and 2 frozen water bottles (they melt by the afternoon) some snacks, a hat, a rain poncho,extra bungy cords, a canvas shoulder bag just in case of a big score of treasure, some motrin....thats about it...I usually get up there Thursday morning and have a room for Thursday and Friday night for spring, ford and this coming fall shows. I may go to other shows during the year but just drive up from md for a Saturday.......Have you been before to any other Carlisle events, or your first time going? I enjoy looking at the cars for sale, checking out used stuff, just stopping and talking with folks there. Lets hope it doesn't rain!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a veteran of many many Carlisle events, I would say Thursday is the best. The vendors get there mainly on Wednesday or early Thursday. You have the best chance of finding some treasure there before the next guy on Friday or Saturday! It is also noticeably less crowded. I drag along a small flip open hand truck from sears with a kitchen trash can bungy corded to it, In that, I throw some sunscreen, a small drink cooler with 2 cold and 2 frozen water bottles (they melt by the afternoon) some snacks, a hat, a rain poncho,extra bungy cords, a canvas shoulder bag just in case of a big score of treasure, some motrin....thats about it...I usually get up there Thursday morning and have a room for Thursday and Friday night for spring, ford and this coming fall shows. I may go to other shows during the year but just drive up from md for a Saturday.......Have you been before to any other Carlisle events, or your first time going? I enjoy looking at the cars for sale, checking out used stuff, just stopping and talking with folks there. Lets hope it doesn't rain!
You got it going on geicoman58!

Yes, I have been before but only to the fall events and it has been 25 years ago since I last attended. It is so much fun and I am really looking forward to it.

I do like Thursday, but I’m a few hours away so unless I leave at the crack of dawn it’ll take me most of the morning to get there, park, get in..... so I might stay overnight and attend Friday too!

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, hope you find some goodies this year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d love to go someday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you could ever make it work logistically, do it!

I feel really fortunate, I’m only 3 hours away from Carlisle.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
The best sales days are Saturday and Sunday because vendrors don't want to cart their stuff home... There have been years past there where people have just left parts and parts boxes filled with parts on the fields because they didn't want to cart it home and they knew that someone else would take it. Especially if it was a rainy week, Then the parts as also get price cut from 30%-50% on some stuff! No Lie!

One Tip of advice that everyone should take. Take a good pair of sneakers..preferably newer ones... One year I did Hershey and Hershey is ALL CONCRETE and all I had on were Topsiders Boat shoe loafers... My feet and my ankles never hurt me so much in my whole life... I never made that mistake again...ever..

Have fun everyone!

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
As a veteran of many many Carlisle events, I would say Thursday is the best. The vendors get there mainly on Wednesday or early Thursday. You have the best chance of finding some treasure there before the next guy on Friday or Saturday! It is also noticeably less crowded.
The best sales days are Saturday and Sunday because vendrors don't want to cart their stuff home... There have been years past there where people have just left parts and parts boxes filled with parts on the fields because they didn't want to cart it home and they knew that someone else would take it. Especially if it was a rainy week, Then the parts as also get price cut from 30%-50% on some stuff! No Lie!
You are both right, of course. The really hard or rare stuff is available Thursday, and the bargains are on Sunday. This applies to cars as well as parts. For example, a friend bought a shoebox Bronco years ago on Sunday, for I think $5k. Unrestored, looked like it had never seen rain. He wasn't really in the market, but couldn't pass that up.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
If the Carlisle show up north is anything like the one here in Florida the problem with going Sunday is that half the vendors start packing up around noon if not sooner.

There are bargains to be had since they don't want to load all that stuff up, but it's still kinda disappointing as you're walking around seeing a bunch of the spots empty by the time you get to them.

But that could just be the show here in Lakeland since they're hot and probably have to drive back up north afterwards.

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
I've never been to fall Carlisle (conflicts with the Dover NASCAR race) but I do go in the spring.

In the spring, I have found that even Saturday afternoon, some vendors are packing it in. I wouldn't even consider going on Sunday. On the other end, it used to be that Friday was the "big" day for flea market sales but a few years back they opened up Thursday for "early birds". If I was looking for something specific I'd shoot for Thursday.

My "itinerary" is usually Thursday-Friday to do the flea market, and Saturday to do the rest of the show.

Like Tony, wear good shoes or bring your handicap credentials and your Hoveround Chair.

·
Registered
166 Posts
After living near the Carlisle fairground for yrs. The shows aren't near what they were just 10yrs ago. Sunday is a ghost town. The real bargains are in the garbage that the vendors left behind.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's true vendors pack up early and leave on Sunday morning, but for the fall Carlisle event you will find many of the vendors hang around because they are also doing the Hershey show the next week, and aren't heading home, just moving 45 minutes down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts