Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was back in December when my engine decided it's finally had enough, and I just got around to pulling it out last weekend.

One of these things is not like the others.

Spare parts and an extra hole. Sweet.

That looks an awful lot like a roller off a lifter.

Ahhhh crap

Big relief here.

Ummmmmm

New trophy!

I have been unable to get the piston out as it seems to be a bit stuck.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having a hard time telling what took out what here. I'd think for the lifter to fail and the end result be a broken rod, there would have had to be piston to valve contact, which there wasn't, but I don't know how breaking a rod would result in a broken lifter. Those were Morel lifters and they haven't even been in there all that long. Kind of unusual to see a hydraulic lifter break like that.

Plans are to build a Dart block motor. There's no need messing around with a stock block with how hard I push it. I'm not too upset about this engine, as it lasted way longer than it should have.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Curious as to what conditions the engine was operating when it hand grenaded?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was bringing my daughter home from riding her horse, and I gave it a quick little burst getting onto the highway. Maybe 3/4 throttle or so, but I let RPMs come up to about 6300-6400, and just as I was going to shift.......BOOM

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was bringing my daughter home from riding her horse, and I gave it a quick little burst getting onto the highway. Maybe 3/4 throttle or so, but I let RPMs come up to about 6300-6400, and just as I was going to shift.......BOOM
Top tip: Rev limiter is very useful sometimes :smile2:

Sorry about your engine :frown2:

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

A familiar story. 40 years ago I had a modified 312 in my 56 Ford. It was hot for a 312, easily revved to 6000 rpm
had a stick O.D. trans and 3.90 rear. Had driven the set up over 50,000 miles, daily driver. One evening after work coming down the ramp to the expressway. About 5000 rpm ready to shift to third and BOOM!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
A familiar story. 40 years ago I had a modified 312 in my 56 Ford. It was hot for a 312, easily revved to 6000 rpm
had a stick O.D. trans and 3.90 rear. Had driven the set up over 50,000 miles, daily driver. One evening after work coming down the ramp to the expressway. About 5000 rpm ready to shift to third and BOOM!
Slim - No pics with the polaroid? :grin2:

Tim

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
You know the old saying- they always run best right before they grenade.......

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Slim - No pics with the polaroid? :grin2:

Tim
Have pics of the baby blue 56 vert but non of the engine! Ya back then Polaroid was the thing! The pack was about $1.50 a pic for color.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I am "re-thjinking" how often I am going to rev my engine to 6,000+ RPMs. It is very fun to do, but that picture of the twisted connecting rod gives one pause.

Best of luck with your new build!

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
Something happened at the small end of the rod. Definitely not a typical failure.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts