Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying a few options to see what works best.

Any suggestions as to where I can get something to paint over this with? I’ve seen some apply paint to refresh the look.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I took out a carpet that was filthy. I thew it on a garbage dumpster and just used a hose and nozzle to wash it. The carpet was already loaded with detergent from past cleaning attempts. There was some discolorization where the master cylinder had leaked. Other than that, you would hardly believe it was the same carpet.

·
Registered
440 Posts
A car wash with a soapy wand does wonders to carpet. Blow it off with an air hose afterwards and lay it in the sun. Takes a day to dry if its warm and sunny. For coloring the faded spots, I just use Krylon that matches and do a mist spray until the stain is covered or the color is back. I use a wide brush on the carpet as soon as I spray paint it. Works fine and is used by a lot of detail shops.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some feedback for anyone that may be interested. I am really happy with the result of this cleaning exercise.

Step 1: Soapy water (With a power washer)
Step 2: Let it dry and then beat it out with a piece of wood. (Should have done this first up! :) )
Step 3: Took one of those sticky roller things and rolled the whole carpet. It takes care of dog hairs etc and picks up most of the loose fluff.
Step 4: Painted it with turquoise paint from Walmart. The colour match on the carpet was excellent. On the plastic section it came out lighter which actually looks really good.
Step 5: Refitted - fairly easy job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts