Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully in the near future I will be installing carpet in my coupe. Was wondering what everyone else was doing about underlayment. I’m going to install the hushmat throughout and saw from several vendors online, jute backing about 1/2” think. Should I install separate jute backing then just carpet with no backing, or the mass backed carpet with the separate jute backing, or just the mass carpet over the hushmat? Appreciate any help, also what type of carpet, I see stuff called rayon,nylon 80/20, loop etc

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Just get the correct carpet from NPD. I didn’t use any underlayment but it seems Dynamat is the top choice among most people I know.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Ok, in my May built 64, after replacing the floors and seam sealing all of the "seams", I added a rubbery product, similar to what the factory did. Next, I did the "Jute" layer, then carpet. These days, many guys, after sealing and paint ing the floor, will go with some type of modern hush mat, cool mat etc., then the carpet. The idea is to add a certain level of sound barrier, then, a heat barrier.
Thus far, I haven't regretted my choices. This is a "variables" area.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I don't know that there's a 'right' way to do this, moreso than preference.

Personally, I think Dynamat is overpriced and something like FatMat works just as well for less. So on mine, I put FatMat down. The thicker the better. It's going to keep some heat out and help prevent rattles. I laugh when I see every square inch of floors coated with this stuff like it's the outside of a lunar capsule because that level of coverage isn't that necessary.

The mass-backed carpet will already have the jute on it, and I really recommend mass-backed. It forms and contours better. Rock Auto has the ACC carpet super cheap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used Acoustic Shield product under my mass backed ACC carpet kit. It works excellent. 1/2" thickness was no big deal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, adding the separate jute and the mass backed carpet would be ok or to thick? Or would be overkill?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
So, adding the separate jute and the mass backed carpet would be ok or to thick? Or would be overkill?
Adding both paddings would probably give you issues with your carpet fit. On my 66 I just used the factory style jute padding and the carpet fit very easily. You can see a little of it on the Build site here under: 66 bucket coupe.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Carpet comes with jute padding, but the cars were also equipped with heavy padding below that. Low tech, but works very well to quell road and exhaust noise. The moulded shape of the carpet is made with the thickness of all this padding accounted for.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I used both the jute and mass backed carpet in mine. Seems to fit fine. Though they're sitting on the steel floor, there might be more spacing issues if you tried to use some Dynamat, the jute /and/ the mass backed carpet.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
A little bit of peel and stick rubberized deadener on the larger flat areas and a new set of ACC mass-backed carpet will do. Trying to turn a classic Mustang into a silent modern car kind of defeats the point of having one. I want to FEEL the engine, HEAR the exhaust, UNITE with the road, and EXPERIENCE all that driving a vintage car has to offer. Yep. My skin will stick to hot vinyl in the summer. I love that I have the only cars in my neighborhood with manual windows, locks, steering and brakes and kids think it's cool. I don't have any cupholders or a rear camera. How about rolling those windows down and opening those floor vents? Even the dog loves that. Ahhh... footwell lighting? Not too many cars have that anymore. If I want all the creature comforts and isolation from the world, I'll get in my wife's Expedition or go buy a new Mustang. I love that my carpet has thousands of loops and my dinner will keep warm on the floor board thanks to some dual exhaust heat. Varoom, baby.

Reactions: Mr.E and gjz30075

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
A little bit of peel and stick rubberized deadener on the larger flat areas and a new set of ACC mass-backed carpet will do. Trying to turn a classic Mustang into a silent modern car kind of defeats the point of having one. I want to FEEL the engine, HEAR the exhaust, UNITE with the road, and EXPERIENCE all that driving a vintage car has to offer. Yep. My skin will stick to hot vinyl in the summer. I love that I have the only cars in my neighborhood with manual windows, locks, steering and brakes and kids think it's cool. I don't have any cupholders or a rear camera. How about rolling those windows down and opening those floor vents? Even the dog loves that. Ahhh... footwell lighting? Not too many cars have that anymore. If I want all the creature comforts and isolation from the world, I'll get in my wife's Expedition or go buy a new Mustang. I love that my carpet has thousands of loops and my dinner will keep warm on the floor board thanks to some dual exhaust heat. Varoom, baby.
I’ll have what he’s smoking. ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts