Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I've used POR-15 and it is for exactly what it says it's for, painting over rust. It is even good for filling small pinholes. I wouldn't recommend it for an almost rust-free area like your floor pans, unless needed on the underside. It is extremely durable for rusty stuff, though, and it smells LOUD so use it in an open area with a fan and or a respirator and some safety glasses and gloves. Plan to get it on your clothes. It's like eating spaghetti with a solid white suit on. I spilled some on my garage floor a year and a half ago, it has been driven over daily and is absolutely un-phased. Don't get it on your skin!
You get it on you( and you will ) be prepared to wear it off.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I sent an inquiry to ACC about the mass backing sound deadener (separate, not part of the carpet), and whether it or the juke went in first. Their response:
"Good morning. Sound deadener goes down first. Then the jute padding with carpet. You can use a 3mm adhesive spray if you need to glue it down, but that would just be the installers preference .thansk,mindy"
I didn't use adhesive as the Lizard Skin was more than rough enough to keep anything from moving.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
My size 12s and 230 pound butt on my seat bolted to the floor is enough to keep mine from moving. :LOL:

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,217 Posts
I sent an inquiry to ACC about the mass backing sound deadener (separate, not part of the carpet), and whether it or the juke went in first. Their response:
"Good morning. Sound deadener goes down first. Then the jute padding with carpet. You can use a 3mm adhesive spray if you need to glue it down, but that would just be the installers preference .thansk,mindy"
I didn't use adhesive as the Lizard Skin was more than rough enough to keep anything from moving.
The jute comes attached to the underside of ACC carpet. There's no way to put it down separately.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,217 Posts
Speaking of Jute I will say this to the OP when in installing - When my jute was glued down, it was not well aligned to the back of my carpet. Meaning the precut holes in the jute were not exactly where they were supposed to be in relation to to the holes in the car. I almost cut out the shifter square way too far to one side because of it. I had to lay down the carpet down just right in the car and cut the hole from the top and then trim out a bunch of jute for it to fit the shifter. My point is - don't turn the carpet upside down and cut out the carpet where the jute holes are before fitting it first, they may not line up with the actual hole placement.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The jute comes attached to the underside of ACC carpet. There's no way to put it down separately.
Well, maybe in the original but not aftermarket. Mine was separate. When I got the car it had only original style jute and plan carpet which were both good. So I added the Lizard Skin and separate ACC mass black.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,217 Posts
Well, maybe in the original but not aftermarket. Mine was separate. When I got the car it had only original style jute and plan carpet which were both good. So I added the Lizard Skin and separate ACC mass black.
I just did 2 carpet kits this year and the jute was attached to both. One was ACC Mass Back.

·
Premium Member
1966 Convertible 6cyl 4sp
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I ran across this as well.
I guess this could be interpreted as, "you could - but it's not necessary"

Everything You Need to Know About Mass Backing

Since mass backing provides excellent sound and heat protection by itself, there’s no need to install additional sound deadening material prior to laying down your carpet, which can save you time and money.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've used POR-15 and it is for exactly what it says it's for, painting over rust. It is even good for filling small pinholes. I wouldn't recommend it for an almost rust-free area like your floor pans, unless needed on the underside. It is extremely durable for rusty stuff, though, and it smells LOUD so use it in an open area with a fan and or a respirator and some safety glasses and gloves. Plan to get it on your clothes. It's like eating spaghetti with a solid white suit on. I spilled some on my garage floor a year and a half ago, it has been driven over daily and is absolutely un-phased. Don't get it on your skin!
Sounds familiar. That stuff sticks like a union! 😎

21 - 33 of 33 Posts