Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I first built my car back in the 90's I worked at an upholstery shop. I did my carpet on a Saturday afternoon and worked late into the night. Factory underlay, then glued a full layer of Reflectix, a full layer of jute, then a molded carpet. The glue was 3M contact adhesive in a glue pot (basically a paint sprayer).

That night my girlfriend (now wife) said she could smell glue on my breath.

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,067 Posts
My neighbour stopped by when he saw the door open. He noticed there is what looks like a very small white string that is similar to fishing line inter-twined withe the heavier stitching. We opened up both loops to where I wanted to cut and tied both in a knot and touched with a barbecue lighter. Appreciate all the suggestions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just installed ACC mass back in my 67 fastback. Upholsterer was going to do it but got slammed so I was on my own to stay on My schedule. Seems no one's schedule seems to jive with mine?! Anyway, I laid it in the car for about a week or so and it relaxed pretty well. I too trimmed to the top of the sill but not over it. Where the front carpet overlaps the rear piece I cut that lapped piece out where it wraps up to the sill.(the mass back was too thick for the sill plate without bulging. I used the sill plate as a cut guide as the plastic Interior panels both front and rear slide under the sill plates. Had to trim fairly close to the edges of the front kick panels as I was concerned with cracking 50 year old parts while trying to screw them into place. All in all, it wasn't as scary as I first thought.
20200801_162736.jpg

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,067 Posts
I agree it's definitely not a bad job for a DIY guy or gal. I had a couple of big wrinkles where the toe boards met the side cowl panel but they disappeared after trimming. I left about 2 cms to tuck under the side panels. I was given new Corvex sill plates but man they are thin, I was thinking about buying stainless ones from NPD instead.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It may depend on the carpet you use. I just installed an ACC mass backed carpet in my 64.5 and it laid down smooth with no wrinkles at all, and that was AFTER it spent 6 months folded up in the shipping box waiting for me to finally install it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My 65 has the early vinyl covered sill risers. Will the original stainless sill plates work with the added thickness of the mass backed carpet tucked under it.

Gregg

21 - 29 of 29 Posts