Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a novice I don't know the difference, probably wouldn't even after installing it but is one better than the other? Looking at NPD catalog and they offer both from ACC.

Also this is my son's car, i.e. no money, which underlayment insulation kit or brand would you suggest. Don't say Dynamat or some other expensive one. Ain't gonna happen. Is the jute thick style OK? Any much cheaper types like the Heat Shield. I was thinking I saw some shiny foil type heat barrier at menards one day, looked like it would work for blocking header heat in the floor. Any ideas..

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I don't know if one carpet type is better than the other, but '64.5 - '67 used 80/20 (rayon & nylon blend) that's been superseded by the Raylon, and '68 - up used 100% Nylon.

What year is your car?

Frank

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year is your car?

but I am not interested in the 64.5 carpet not going up the rocker. So i am ordering for a 65-66.

It was started by someone else and they were turning it into a GT clone, so we are finishing it but not making a concours show car. It'll be a kickazz car for a 16 year old when done. Certainly not a show car.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i got the raylon and it seems to be pretty good it is not installed yet though

·
Registered
468 Posts
I did my carpet myself. I talked to my upholestery man and he said what he uses is the silver bubble insulation like you would use in a house. So that is what I used. It works. It naturally deflects the heat and the sound is not a problem in my car. I suggest this route. You can get this stuff at lowes. I am not sure on the cost compared to actual underlayment. I just had some sitting around the house so mine was real cheap haha.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Being a novice I don't know the difference, probably wouldn't even after installing it but is one better than the other? Looking at NPD catalog and they offer both from ACC.

Also this is my son's car, i.e. no money, which underlayment insulation kit or brand would you suggest. Don't say Dynamat or some other expensive one. Ain't gonna happen. Is the jute thick style OK? Any much cheaper types like the Heat Shield. I was thinking I saw some shiny foil type heat barrier at menards one day, looked like it would work for blocking header heat in the floor. Any ideas..

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
Unless the floors have both been replaced, there is probably the black oil based resin adhering tenaciously to the floor already. As you say, no Dynamat equivalent, just go with the factory jute. Also, ACC makes a nice quality carpet replacement. They'll probably have the underlayment, as well.
Happy Motoring!

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
Unless the floors have both been replaced, there is probably the black oil based resin adhering tenaciously to the floor already. As you say, no Dynamat equivalent, just go with the factory jute. Also, ACC makes a nice quality carpet replacement. They'll probably have the underlayment, as well.
Happy Motoring!
Thanks guys.

I don't think the floors have been replaced and there is not a thick black undercoat layer on it...it is reddish orange primer color. There is nothing on the underside of the floors, bare metal starting to rust.

The owner died and I got it from his kids. The car was in great shape, the old man picked a good car to start rebuilding. Has almost everything needed to put it back together, and I mean everything, except the carpet, screws and bolts.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I did my carpet myself. I talked to my upholestery man and he said what he uses is the silver bubble insulation like you would use in a house. So that is what I used. It works. It naturally deflects the heat and the sound is not a problem in my car. I suggest this route. You can get this stuff at lowes. I am not sure on the cost compared to actual underlayment. I just had some sitting around the house so mine was real cheap haha.
Yeah, it's the same type of product as Dynamat except it doesn't have the Dynomat name. I bought a whole bunch for my floors and made coozie's with the rest... :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts