Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Carpet Selection 100% Nylon or 80/20

21010 8
I've noticed ACC sells carpet/floormats which are 100% Nylon or 80% Rylon & 20% Nylon. Is there much of a difference in appearance or wear? Why offer two varieties of essentially the same thing?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,045 Posts
"Why offer a 289 and a 302? "
Because some of us are watching our weight and prefer it without the extra 13cc's.

Same as the engine reference above, one was phased out as the other came in. To be period correct the 80/20 was 65-68 and the 100 nylon was '69-'73. I think I read that the 100% nylon was a little more durable. They offer 100% nylon for the early years for those of us that prefer durablilty over correctness I'm guessing.
Jon

· Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The carpet I purchased is the ACC 80/20. Durability would be more of a consideration than originality for this part. Anyone know if the 100% floormats would look strange on 80/20 carpet?

· Registered
890 Posts
In my 20 years of selling Mustang parts, it was my experience that the 80/20 was more durable. The 100% nylon carpet was more likely to get "frizzy" with wear and lose its loop-pile look.

I always ordered the carpets in 80/20, even for the years that were nylon correct because I liked the blended better.

· Registered
4,096 Posts
When I ordered carpet for my FastBack I accidentally gave the wrong part number for the rear fold down seat backing. I received half of my carpeting 100% nylon and the other half the blend. I was so glad I made that mistake because I was able to compare the two side by side. The nylon was a jet black color and much thinner looping, you could see the white gluey backing through the pile , it seemed cheap and plasticky . The 80/20 blend was unbelievably thick and...well...thick without that artificial old man blue black hair dye look. I couldn't even bend it in half and see through the pile ( did I say thick)I sent the nylon back to NPD and finished the project with the Blend and was so glad I did so.

· Registered
4,096 Posts
You can also see the before and after showing the same pile look with the 80/20 blend. The 100% looks somewhat like indoor outdoor carpet in comparison (I am exaggerating of course)
Before
http://pics1.frozenbear.com/i/picfu1/2008/08/03/08/e/e/4/ee4bc9a162e4e90084bc19682dea4cf10_main.jpg

After
http://pics1.frozenbear.com/i/picfu1/2008/08/03/08/9/4/6/94632abd23fdc3a29e2d547e8e85d5960_main.jpg

· Vendor
5,119 Posts
Here's the deal folks....

There is no such thing as 80/20 anymore... ACC may classify it's new "Raylon" product as a replacement for 80/20, but it's not the same as what originally came in your 1964-1967 Mustangs.

Truth is, the new "Raylon" does not contain any percentage of Rayon. It's simply a re-formulated and better-tufted nylon product. It's more durable, less prone to "fray", and the tufting is twisted (more like original) and does not have the corn-row effect of the existing 100%-nylon product ACC still provides. In my opinion, Raylon is closer appearance-wise to what originally came in our cars, than what had previously been sold to us as 80/20 for the last two decades anyhow.

So, my advice is, even to you concours folks, is to forget about the old 80/20 and 100% nylon applications, forget about the switch from 80/20 to nylon in 1968, it's all just history now, and you're not going to get "true" 80/20 anywhere unless you want to spring for an NOS carpet.

I would approach carpet purchases, today, as a two-tiered offering....

The current ACC 100%-nylon being the entry-level "budget" carpet.

The ACC Raylon being the up-scale and more expensive premium product.

And if you're really wanting to go up-scale, you can special-order a mass-backed Raylon carpet direct from ACC.

Right now, we're working with ACC on colors and logistics and product SKU's so that we can offer the Raylon, in original colors, all the way through 1973, effectively having it available applications that had historically only been available in the existing lower-quality 100% nylon. This isn't easy, because we have SO MUCH "legacy inventory", so many carpets on the floor that won't fit into the new array of offerings. We'll have to create all new numbers for the new 68-73 Raylon carpets, and make ROOM for them (arghhh). Slow process that we're working on.

But forget about 80/20.... Raylon is not 80/20, and Rayon is no longer available in any ACC carpet, or any alternative manufacturer's carpets.

Buy the Raylon with confidence, it'll look more original than the 10-year-old ACC 80/20 carpet you yank out of your car.

And how's a judge to know what the carpet blend is anyhow? The only real field test is to light it on fire.... ;)

· Registered
33 Posts
I bought the 100% nylon from Colorado Mustang because I was told that you can't tell the difference (and that's all they had at the time). Well, I could tell the difference and I now plan to replace it with the better product. Should I have it professionally "steamed" in by a shop, or will the Raylon fit better around the trans hump than the nylon? I used the heavy sound deadening padding as well, so this might be part of the fit problem as well. Will I get a better carpet fit if I use a modern product like Dyna Mat?
Thanks in Advance,
Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.