Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to installl new shiny foil faced underlayment before installing my new carpet. What brand underlayment do you guys recommend? I figure the shiny side should face down so as to reflect the heat away similar to foil faced house insulation board where the foil faces out. Is this correct?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I just did this last weekend on my fastback. I bought two 4' x 6' peices of water heather cover with aluminum on one side and jute? on the other. $20 per at Home Depot. It was the highest quality they had at the time. It was about 1/4" thick overall. I cut and pieced it in foil side down to cover everthing from the front all the way to the trunk but not the trunk itself. I went through 4 utility knifes because that jute? dulled them up so bad. They were the chepie kind without replacebale blades. Since I just had a new 2.5" exhaust with Flowmasters (I know they are loud but I wanted loud) 40's and knew I needed something more than the cardboard the PO had installed. I am happy with it but I am still getting hot air from the engine in around my feet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used a layer of Dynomat first and then got a kit from Snake-Oyl, they make seatbelts, and put that down on top. The Snake-Oyl soundproofing is excellent, all cut to fit and very high quality.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I bought a BIG roll from JCWhitney. The "space aged" stuff or something like that.

I used the originals (or what was left of them) as templates, and improved on the design in most cases.

I got the entire floor covered.

Its aluminum on one side, and padded stuff on the other.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I did what you are about to do last month to my Shelby with the new 347 stroker in it.

I not only used the insulating material from Summit but I also used the jute backing from a Fox Bodied Mustang on top of it all and it totalled about 1 1/2 inches thick. Boy what great sound deadening that made. It worked GREAT. But, I too am still getting some unwanted heat up around the feet rest area on the passenger side especially (my wife complained that her bare feet were getting hot on the trip to Long Beach this weekend as we drove across the 114 degree desert of Southern California. Even the Jet Hot coated Hooker headers didn't seem to help on that day to control the heat.

I think I may try putting some kind of insulation on the OUTSIDE of the firewall behind where the feet rest, to help shield the heat better from the headers. I'll let you know what I end up using. I may go to the airfield and see if the flyboys have a good insulator they use around aircraft engines or something. Any ideas?

Here is all the details if you'd like to see photos

http://jmichael.info/insulation.htm

Doc the moneymanager
http://moneymanagment.info/carpetpad2.jpg

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I've used the stuff from auto supply houses (jeg's, summit, jc whitney) and find it to be IDENTICAL to the water heater blankets sold by Home Depot.

The Home Depot stuff is cheaper, too.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
a word of caution - piling sound deadner up too high wlll take forever to dry out if it gets wet. i used the foil stuff on my qtr trims and roof but used undrlayment from Virginia Classic Mustang on floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts