Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A while ago I asked the VMF to help me design a garage. Plans have changed since then. We (my family) wanted to get my grandmother (dad's mom) out of Norristown. It is getting worse there. My grandmother has been getting her house fixed up (nothing major, just some painting and ceiling work) and will soon be ready to put the house on the market. The new plan is to build a garage with living quarters above. My dad printed out these plans. It's not bad, but I am not very fond of the single garage door and the depth of the structure. The stairs would be about 3'-4' wide so the actual width of the work area would be about 29'.

I would like to hear some opinons about the plans.

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
333 Posts
I do agree, a couple of feet deeper would be nice, but I definatley think its' workable. At my old house I had one 28' deep and 22' wide. I got 2 cars side by side and a 16.5' boat lengthwise accross the back in it, a tad tight, but I managed. I do like the single door, I know its' a bigger span to hold the wieght of the second floor, but its' much easier to get a car in!

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's better than what I have...of course I don't even have a carport...

I would raise the flag of grandma getting up and down stairs ok. Granted I know nothing about her or how old she is or what kind of shape she is in, but that would cause me concern.

Stan

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
If you are going to work on 1 car in the shop
Its perfect.
If you want to store 2 cars in the garage its tight.
If you want to store one car, and work on another....its REAAAAAALLLLYYY tight.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I know a guy that worked for a company(located in PA) that built garages from premanufacterd materials. My experience with them was great. I had a 30x40 garage built, 2 garage doors (8x10) and a single side door, for, $11,000. The A frame was 2 ft on centers, the walls were siding banded (no studs every 16 in)(every 2 ft), they installed colored steel roofing, and I supplied the T-111. Had a contractor run elect to the garage($1500) and ran my own outlets and wiring in the garage. Maybe something like that would work for you, just 2 story instead?

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grandma will be fine. She is in good shape. She usually walks 2 miles with a friend on nice days. I plan to work on the Mustang and the 53 Buick in the garage. The Mustang will be getting some major work done to it this winter so I would like to have a good amount of work space. My dad and I have been looking at Plymouth Roadrunners lately. I wouldn't have any work space left if we had to squeeze a Roadrunner in there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I added an in-law apartment to my house a couple years ago. It's 24x27, two car garage underneath. Separate doors are great, but add to cost (two doors, two garage door openers, etc.). If I were to do it again? I'd definitely make it deeper and a little wider. If you go wider, make sure you don't end up with a support pole in the middle of your garage...luckily with two garage doors the support pole isn't really in the way...just when I'm under my mustang and moving around. ::

My mom has been living there now for 2.5 years...she loves it...she loves being on her own yet having me right next door in case of emergency, etc. When I designed her apartment, I went with an "open look" living room kitchen (kinda like your plans but not even a divider wall between kitchen, living room). I felt it took up living space (5" thick walls). Also, instead of one big bedroom, I designed two smaller rooms - one is 11 x 9 and the other is 11 x 8. The bathroom is between the bedrooms with each bedroom's closet behind the bathroom. She uses the 2nd bedroom as an office, spare room. She only sleeps in her bedroom so she loved the idea of not having a huge bedroom. Oh, and if you can, add a porch off the back. I did and I'm VERY glad I did. It's a 12x12 porch that I insulated and fixed up. No heat but if she leaves the doors open it warms up nicely in the winter to use. And it's an extra room!! Nice days she spends out there looking out into the yard, reading, watching TV. Overall she has only 800 sq ft of living space (including porch) but has always said it's the perfect size for her. Talk to your grandmother about what she'd like...

Guy(NH)

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I agree with GuyNH that you need to talk to your grandmother about what she'd like. I'd hate to see you go through all this just to find out she doesn't want the noise associated with living above a garage where restoration activities are occuring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts