Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bought the Edlebrock F-28 Dual Quad Intake and Carter AFB's. Still trying to figure out which carbs I have. I thought I had it figured out, but once I got the carbs off today, I was able to see the numbers a little better.

The Numbers appear to be #B1 9625SA The other one shows # D0 9625SA Any ideas on CFM?

On a side note, I took the Intake and stuck it in the hot parts washer for a couple of hours today, and then used a very mild acid wash to clean it up even more. It came out pretty nice, but I'm still not satisfied and I don't want to paint it just yet. There are a few black spots & dots through out the manifold, not to noticable, but I'm picky.

I'm thinking of media blasting it, but know it may change the texture or finish of the intake. Has anyone else bead blasted their intakes and how did it come out?

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL76/711583/1216381/32799898.jpg

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got it looking really nice. For the normal person, they wouldn't even know what I'm fussing about. It just has some of those age spots that will not come out regardless! :: I figure I'd just blast them away like I did on the 30 year old Top Eliminator wheels I picked up a few weeks a go. Maybe I will test a spot on the under side first! :p

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Whiz, the 9625 is a 625 CFM designed for Chebby applications.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Well, you're certainly into them at the right price. Now all you need are some Stelling air cleaners and a fuel log and you're set. The fuel log used on the original Cobra dual AFB set up was a bit queer in that all the other fuel logs I've seen used with FoMoCo/Cobra/Shelby multiple carb set ups had two mounting fingers, the AFB log had just one. It was about 35-40% down the length from the fuel line connection, and connected under the third intake bolt (or there abouts... bear with me, it's been over 20 years since I ran them). In-line performance was fine, improved in the 5-7.5k rpm range over my highrise, but I had problems under hard turns and four wheel drifting of the car, so I chunked them. Some guy with a ratty beat-to-hell Cobra got a hard on for them so off they went to feed his nirvana.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been doing some reading on these things, and I'm thinking they may be kind of fun for the 66 I'm currently building. I'm finding all kinds of little tips & tricks for the AFB's such as this! , and even though I know I'll loose 10 to 15 hp over a single carb. set up for my application, I'm still thinking it will be lots of fun at shows just to see other folks reactions when they look under the hood! Now I just got to approuch my ram-air set up I was working on from a different angle. :p

After much debate, I ordered a couple of carb. kits today and decided to re-build the carbs., this way I know whats been done to them, and no surprises later. Perfect time to perform some minor modifications to them as well!

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Steve,

Thanks! Kind of crazy. When I read your reply, I remembered when I bought my other 66 a couple of years a go, it had a carter 625cfm on it. I think I still have it up in the garage somewhere. will have to check the numbers on that one as well, since I think someone mentioned it was off of a cheby as well!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
No problem. Last weekend I rebuilt the Carter on the Cat (9637), so I'm "up" on them at the moment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts