Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the Carter Carb was ever used on a 68 Mustang 6 cyl. 200ci? I bought one a couple of weeks ago, rebuilt it and when I went to install it, I realized it was too high. I was told by a Mustang shop in Arlington, TX that Carter was never used on Mustangs. Let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
As far as I know, your car should have come with an Autolite 1100.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a Carter YF on my 65 convertible which has a 67 six cylinder engine in it. (Don't ask, it's a long story.) I upgraded from the Autolite 1100 because the Carter YF is a superior carb and was well recommended by others over at fordsix.com. I had an adapter plate built as the bore at the base is about 1.75 and the intake is about 1.5. As for solving the height problem, I just did as suggested by those who performed the swap. Get an aircleaner off a Maverick 6 (mid 70s) and the problem will be solved. The Maverick (an possibly other 6 models) have air cleaner housings designed to fit over the Carter YF and keep a lower profile. (The top of the aircleaner rests on the top of the carb, not, as with the original set up, where the bottom of the air cleaner housing sits on the top of the carb.) You have a fairly common conversion. Let me know if I can be of further help.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
If it's a 67 the ID will read C7DF-T. I can't think of any reason that one wouldn't work on a 68. The only other Carter for the 200 that I can find is for '70 and would have a D preceding the first four characters of the ID tag; the 70 may stand taller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts