Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a carter elect. fuel pump out there? I am considering putting one on my 66/289/4100 carb. They seem pretty cheap compared to the holley's, $50. vs $100. Also, what else do I need to hook it up back by the fuel tank? thanks..gary.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
They're not a bad pump, but they should come with ear plugs ::

I used to have the Carter electric pump in my son's '65 (God rest it's sole). I've seen quieter F-14's. The Holley's are twice the price, but half the noise.

It should come with all the mounting hardware and rubber insulators.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess it would be okay to leave the mech. pump in it's place and just bypass it to the carb? That way, it would be a back up to easily hook back up if the elect. quit on a trip. Oh, and are there any Johnpro "tricks" to this project??? :: It is so good to be in the know! :D

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
While elect pumps are cool looking and required if you run FI, mechanicals will flow just as much and are safer IMHO since if the engine stops, so does the fuel......that's why mech pumps are required in NASCAR.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Mechanical pumps are safe....maybe, until the diaphragm cracks/tears and the crankcase fills with gasoline!!! (or depending on the pump design, gasoline leaks and covers where the vehicle is parked with gas siphoning out of the tank...seen that too!!)

I'll also add if the mechanical pumps and the hardline attached to the engine are bypassed completely, I suspect the fuel entering the carb is MUCH cooler, reducing the chance of vapor lock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts