Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Carter fuel pump that I bought about 10 years ago. I seem to remember it being for a 66 F100 352, but Im not certain. Ive owned a bunch of 60s Fords the past 10 years.

Markings are 0-1900 CARTER Made in USA 40048M21A. I cant cross reference that number, so I have no idea its application other than its for a Ford.

I want to use it on my 250.

The lever is identical to the lever that is on the fuel pump that I removed from the 250.

On a 144-170-200-250 the fuel pump mounts upside down compared to the V8s. The pump mount on the 6 is above the cam, on the 8 it is below the cam.

Can I mount this pump "upside" down or does it have to be orientated for the application it is intended?

Dry fitting the pump, the arm appears to engage the cam exactly the same way the original pump did.

The correct Carter pump is only $18 so its not a big deal, I like the one I have because it has the filter and the correct pump does not.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im on my game today.

As I was putting the pump back in the box it came in I noticed a sticker: C30Z-9350-D Fuel Pump 65 Mustang 170-200 with filter.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Even if it was the correct pump you have a 10-year old rubber diaphragm inside there. I looked on Rock Auto at the '65 Mustang 200 6cyl pumps and it looks like you can get them either way, with or without the fuel filter. I'd buy a new one with the filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts