Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am looking for assistance on identifying the correct water pump and timing cover for my car. Looks like my car was produced right in the gray area of the change from Aluminum to cast iron. I was thinking the car would have had the cast iron pump however I can’t seem to locate a cast iron type timing cover with an April date code. Even if I could get someone to verify they have even seen a cast iron type timing cover with that early if a date at least I would know I am not chasing something I will never be able to find. My motor assembly date was April 15th of 1965 and my car build date is June 8th 1965. Is there anyone out there that can confirm witch one my car would have had? Or is there anyone on here that has an April built motor with a may or June built car that still has their Original engine tag that can supply me the correct change level (6,7,or 8) thanks for any help you can give….

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
I would ask this question over on the Concours Mustang Forum. They are more likely able to tell you the correct change over date. One thing to keep in mind, the currently sold aluminum water pumps are cheap crap that fail if your look at them wrong. I went through 3 trying to get one to last more than 15 mins. (One failed in under 1 min). I finally gave up and switched to a cast iron pumps. There are some high quality aftermarket aluminum pumps but they don’t look original at all.

Sleeve Personal protective equipment Leather Close-up Electric blue

Reactions: Nailbender

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would ask this question over on the Concours Mustang Forum. They are more likely able to tell you the correct change over date. One thing to keep in mind, the currently sold aluminum water pumps are cheap crap that fail if your look at them wrong. I went through 3 trying to get one to last more than 15 mins. (One failed in under 1 min). I finally gave up and switched to a cast iron pumps. There are some high quality aftermarket aluminum pumps but they don’t look original at all.

View attachment 818575
Wow that’s ridicules…yeah I already have a factory HIPO alu unit I can have rebuilt if I need one..what is frustrating is I have already purchased the very rare very expensive hipo cast pump because I thought that’s what my car came with. I have most of the parts needed for either style (only missing the correct dated “cast style” timing cover) what I am missing is Witch one of them is correct for this car

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

View attachment 818575
Btw I thought I was in the concours section :)

·
Premium Member
5,892 Posts

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
5,892 Posts
It is a Hipo car. That is why it is so important for me to figure out witch one is correct. I want the car to be right.
Then I suggest the moderators move this thread to the concourse forum to hopefully get you the proper information. I'm go and not show.

Reactions: Russstang

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Btw I thought I was in the concours section :)
It is the concours section, but the real experts on such things are found here:

VMF is the best for general repairs, modifications, and all things Classic Mustangs, but most folks here don’t worry about high end 100 point concours cars.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Wow that’s ridicules…yeah I already have a factory HIPO alu unit I can have rebuilt if I need one..what is frustrating is I have already purchased the very rare very expensive hipo cast pump because I thought that’s what my car came with. I have most of the parts needed for either style (only missing the correct dated “cast style” timing cover) what I am missing is Witch one of them is correct for this car
I would definitely get the original aluminum pump rebuilt if you end up going with an aluminum pump.

Apparently there is only one plant building the repro aluminum pumps and selling them under a dozen names. They look good, but are made of substandard aluminum. Any side loading and the nose cracks. I had two crack as soon as I added the A/C belt. One was so poorly made the front bearing came out and the shaft started to wobble so bad it hit the radiator.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have a July 12th 1965 San Jose built C code coupe.

Original timing cover had built in pointer and cast iron water pump.

Cover has been long gone due to corrosion.

Reactions: Ashep65k

·
7,191 Posts
I have always understood that all the K engines had the aluminum non-backing plate style pump. I believe the change to the cast iron pump on non-k engines occurred sometime around the beginning of 1965. My c-code had the aluminum pump as it is an October 1964 built car. If there were Hipo 289’s with cast iron pumps, that’s a new one on me.

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a July 12th 1965 San Jose built C code coupe.

Original timing cover had built in pointer and cast iron water pump.

Cover has been long gone due to corrosion.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for unless I find someone who knows “for sure” I am making a log to try and narrow down the exact day of the changeover. I am cheering for it to be a “cast” pump but just want it right. Thanks so much

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Change Level 8 (the change from aluminum to cast iron water pump) took place in May of 1965. I’m not sure of the specific date, but I have seen different engine tags with 5-E build dates with either CL 7 and 8 on them, so the transition was sometime in May.

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Change Level 8 (the change from aluminum to cast iron water pump) took place in May of 1965. I’m not sure of the specific date, but I have seen different engine tags with 5-E build dates with either CL 7 and 8 on them, so the transition was sometime in May.
Sweet! good information and exactly what I’ve been seeking. So tell me if you think I am off base here….since my “engine” was assembled on April 15 then my car should be at change level 7. (Even if the the car was actually built on June the 8th) because: They would not have gone back to that engine They assembled with an Aluminum water pump and changed it to cast iron prior to dropping it in the car…that would make no sense to me. And the simple fact I have been unable to find an April dated timing cover is just reinforcing this. I don’t believe any of the “cast style” covers were even available prior to may of 1965.

·
Premium Member
5,892 Posts
It is my understanding that K code engines used the aluminum water pump into 1967. The application listings for the aluminum pump seem to back that up.

I have always understood that all the K engines had the aluminum non-backing plate style pump. I believe the change to the cast iron pump on non-k engines occurred sometime around the beginning of 1965. My c-code had the aluminum pump as it is an October 1964 built car. If there were Hipo 289’s with cast iron pumps, that’s a new one on me.
Yep

Reactions: HoosierBuddy

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is my understanding that K code engines used the aluminum water pump into 1967. The application listings for the aluminum pump seem to back that up.

Yep
Yes there was. They used an iron pump for 4 months. From may 1965 through August 1965. That has been my confusion, as my car was assembled after the change but my motor was assembled prior to the change…I found the original vin stamped block that went missing from the car in 1972. But it’s bare no timing chain, no engine tag etc.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
5,050 Posts
Didn’t Tony Gregory also say if a HiPo pump wasn’t available when needed they would grab what they had? Muddies up the water if true.

·
Premium Member
5,892 Posts
Yes there was. They used an iron pump for 4 months. From may 1965 through August 1965. That has been my confusion, as my car was assembled after the change but my motor was assembled prior to the change…I found the original vin stamped block that went missing from the car in 1972. But it’s bare no timing chain, no engine tag etc.
Interesting! They must have had a very good reason to go back to the aluminum pump. Weight? My October 1964 C code came with an aluminum WP and although I'm not currently running that motor I am running the aluminum pump "Edelbrock" because I always thought the backing plate on the cast iron pumps was kind of un-necessary and hokey.

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting! They must have had a very good reason to go back to the aluminum pump. Weight? My October 1964 C code came with an aluminum WP and although I'm not currently running that motor I am running the aluminum pump "Edelbrock" because I always thought the backing plate on the cast iron pumps was kind of un-necessary and hokey.
Seems like I read a post somewhere (digging through old post looking for my answer) where someone said the aluminum pump design was not as efficient and the water could take a short cut causing an overheating issue..it’s all speculation at this point but maybe they improved the design before going back to it🤷‍♂️. Weight may have been a factor too but I doubt it. What drives me insane is I have already purchased the cast iron hipo pump with the correct numbers and correct impeller. And if I recall it was 5-600 bucks 🤦

·
Premium Member
5,892 Posts
Seems like I read a post somewhere (digging through old post looking for my answer) where someone said the aluminum pump design was not as efficient and the water could take a short cut causing an overheating issue..it’s all speculation at this point but maybe they improved the design before going back to it🤷‍♂️. Weight may have been a factor too but I doubt it. What drives me insane is I have already purchased the cast iron hipo pump with the correct numbers and correct impeller. And if I recall it was 5-600 bucks 🤦
If you want to use your cast iron HiPo pump your secret is safe with me. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts