Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For everyone who helped me and anyone digging old discussions looking for the answer to my question. I have found and expert that had enough k car examples around my assembly date and knowledge of these cars I feel confident we have a pretty solid answer. The car assembly date has no effect on the answer to this question. The change level follows the engine build date not the car assembly date. The earliest cast iron pump this person had ever seen on an A or Z code car was May 4th 1965. So it is safe to say may 1st 1965 was the day most likely change level 8 kicked in and the cast iron pump was installed. Now like an earlier comment said they had seen multiple cars with may assembly dates in the engine tag with both pumps used either pump would be correct on a car with May engine assembly and very much possible you could have a May assembled engine with an aluminum pump installed (from the factory) as I am sure they had to use up their stock. So the answer is: if you have NO engine tag to go off of and you need to know what pump to use on your car if your engine assembly date was prior to May1, 65 it’s Aluminum and After May 1 it would be cast iron.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
5,031 Posts
For everyone who helped me and anyone digging old discussions looking for the answer to my question. I have found and expert that had enough k car examples around my assembly date and knowledge of these cars I feel confident we have a pretty solid answer. The car assembly date has no effect on the answer to this question. The change level follows the engine build date not the car assembly date. The earliest cast iron pump this person had ever seen on an A or Z code car was May 4th 1965. So it is safe to say may 1st 1965 was the day most likely change level 8 kicked in and the cast iron pump was installed. Now like an earlier comment said they had seen multiple cars with may assembly dates in the engine tag with both pumps used either pump would be correct on a car with May engine assembly and very much possible you could have a May assembled engine with an aluminum pump installed (from the factory) as I am sure they had to use up their stock. So the answer is: if you have NO engine tag to go off of and you need to know what pump to use on your car if your engine assembly date was prior to May1, 65 it’s Aluminum and After May 1 it would be cast iron.
Thank goodness. I was NOT going to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner till this was solved….

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Dude. Thought the forum was to talk about this stuff and learn from one another. I do believe there is a button to jump off the thread if it’s bothering you. Just saying

·
Registered
734 Posts
Wasn’t too funny to me mark. Your wrong. I was trying to possibly help someone in the future that may have the same issue. Glad he humor’ed you I see what the site is for now. Y’all have a good TG

Eh don't worry about the smarta*** - sometimes when you have nothing to contribute you try humor - I learned something thanks.

·
Spammer Hammer
11,741 Posts
Dude relax…it’s Thanksgiving for goodness sake. No one here meant to insult you. All things in fun. You won’t find another forum as helpful as this one, but if you chose to leave, good luck with your car. Be sure to at least share some pics with us when you finish it.

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It’s
Dude relax…it’s Thanksgiving for goodness sake. No one here meant to insult you. All things in fun. You won’t find another forum as helpful as this one, but if you chose to leave, good luck with your car. Be sure to at least share some pics with us when you finish it.
Would love to share photos with the group. Short background because we all want to enjoy the day and not be stuck on our phones. Purchased this car in 1986 at 17yo. K motor and trans was missing so I replaced it when I completely restored the car in 2000. Motor was stolen from the original owner in 1972. We have a running log in the hipo site for k owners looking for their Vin stamped block and mine showed up in Wyoming early this year. I am working on a complete rebuild and that’s why I am trying to make it as perfect as possible. I have everything purchased at this point and just waiting on the machine shop to rework the heads and Ballance the rotating assembly. I will be keeping the original intake, carb, rocker covers and cam in the closet and will be adding a cobra kit (original one) and the lamans C7 camshaft. Here is a few photos of my progress :)
Musical instrument Electronic instrument Gadget Office equipment Musical instrument accessory
Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive design Rim Tire
Grey Style Tree Art Tints and shades
Product Rectangle Gas Composite material Engineering
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Gas Machine

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
It’s

Would love to share photos with the group. Short background because we all want to enjoy the day and not be stuck on our phones. Purchased this car in 1986 at 17yo. K motor and trans was missing so I replaced it when I completely restored the car in 2000. Motor was stolen from the original owner in 1972. We have a running log in the hipo site for k owners looking for their Vin stamped block and mine showed up in Wyoming early this year. I am working on a complete rebuild and that’s why I am trying to make it as perfect as possible. I have everything purchased at this point and just waiting on the machine shop to rework the heads and Ballance the rotating assembly. I will be keeping the original intake, carb, rocker covers and cam in the closet and will be adding a cobra kit (original one) and the lamans C7 camshaft. Here is a few photos of my progress :) View attachment 818718 View attachment 818719 View attachment 818721 View attachment 818722 View attachment 818723 View attachment 818724
Hey Ashe can you tell me the dates on the manifold/carbs? - The carbs I'm sure are 2881/2882s. I'm doing some research on original ones -Thanks Dean

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey Ashe can you tell me the dates on the manifold/carbs? - The carbs I'm sure are 2881/2882s. I'm doing some research on original ones -Thanks Dean
Sure man currently finishing TG meal. I will drag it out in a bit and take a look. From my memory the intake has very little markings I do not believe it has a date???? I asked the person I purchased it from about that and he said that it is the real deal and I trust this person very much…if you know where the date would be located on it please let me know as I would love to know

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sure man currently finishing TG meal. I will drag it out in a bit and take a look. From my memory the intake has very little markings I do not believe it has a date???? I asked the person I purchased it from about that and he said that it is the real deal and I trust this person very much…if you know where the date would be located on it please let me know as I would love to know
No rush- Thanks! - the date on the manifold should be right on top of the thermostat housing - it would be 3 digits - 1 for month 2 digits for the year -

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Yeh there is no stamp on it. Hmmm ...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thanks for the history lesson.
Nice build.
Enjoy the car whether it’s all correct or not.

My July build car has parts from 65 and 66 and even the wiring doesn’t match 65 or 66 exactly.
I also have the inductive ammeter not the 2 post ammeter.

I thought the timing cover was different between the two styles of pumps ( with/without backing plate)?

·
Registered
1965 mustang k code GT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for the history lesson.
Nice build.
Enjoy the car whether it’s all correct or not.

My July build car has parts from 65 and 66 and even the wiring doesn’t match 65 or 66 exactly.
I also have the inductive ammeter not the 2 post ammeter.

I thought the timing cover was different between the two styles of pumps ( with/without backing plate)?
Yes sir it is. Aluminum has 2 Rib’s the cast style has 7 ribs. They will not interchange

21 - 38 of 38 Posts