Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, after reading past caster related posts, I have an idea. Can you turn the A-frame shaft a half or full turn to move the mounting holes toward the front, which in turn would move ball joint rearward, to get a little more caster. Just a thought. Thanks Steve

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Doing so would imbalance the forces acting on the UCA attachment bolts and the spring would not be centered in the shock tower. The traditional method is to adjust the LCA to get caster because it is not connected to the spring, spring perch.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I agree with GeeGee, but would add that moving the LCA forward is only an approved method on 67 and later cars. The "approved" method for an earlier car is to stick a wad of those funky shims behind the front UCA stud and move the upper balljoint rearward.

Personally, I hate that method and think that moving the LCA and balljoint forward should work on an early car. In fact, I've purchased a set of those TCP adjustable strut rods to do just that. Again - I've been warned by some pretty knowledgable folks that it will be hell to align, if I go and mess around with the LCA-to-framerail angles, though. I'm no engineer, but I cannot see why it won't work. Just hard headed, I guess.

BTW - Read your profile...interesting job. I'm jealous. You aren't related to that other Kenseth guy involved in NASCAR, are you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts