Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a question a few days ago and a lot of people have been GREAT in trying to help me figure out exactly what this engine is that I have on my stand. THANK YOU ALL. Ive n=been told that posting my casting #'s would be the best thing to do but, I thought I knew where they are but I was wrong. Can someone tell me where I will find them at? Thanks again. Im just tring to find out what this is before I drop it in my 70 fastback. Ive been told that it is a 429 (thunderjet) Which I beleive but, others have told me its a 428 and a 460. I thought Id ask the PRO'S, you all.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Look on the side of the block around the freeze plugs. You should see a number like C8ME (428) or maybe C8AE-A (390). If it is an FE series, check between the sparkplug holes for the head casting #'s.

Post the #'s and we can give you more info.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked on the block and the head. I couldnt find anything on the block but I found something on the right head between the plugs. It is C9VE-A I hope this does it. Thanks for all of your help.

70fastback

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
From what I have found those heads are off of a regular 429/460. So you are definetley dealing with a 385 series engine, so it can either be a 429, or 460. If this engine is stock, pull one of the heads off, The top of the piston should be stamped either "429", or "460". I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Sorry for another post, but check for the casting number on the block right where the starter would go. I know thats where it is on small blocks, not sure about the big blocks though. But its a place to look, right where the starter would be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts