Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, thank goodness it didn’t happen to either of my Mustangs - or I'd probably be in jail right about now. Of course, I can’t be certain, as I didn’t see anything happen, but I KNOW what cat urine stenches like, and everytime I climb inside my F150 (it sits outside) lately, I nearly puke! I hosed out the interior, but that acidic rot reek is still there. I don’t understand it. I stuck my nose to the carpet, on the seats, in the engine compartment, in the wheel wells, but can not detect anything (the truck is always locked and the windows rolled up). And there have been no cat prints on my hood, as there have been in the past (when there was no stink). But the second I open the truck door to leave for work, WHEW!
It’s gotta be a cat. Could it be marking it’s territory or something? Am I wrong? Does anything else smell this badly? And if it is cats (there are many, many that roam my neighborhood - especially a few new ones lately), how do I keep them away from my house (keep in mind, I live in the city, i.e. harsh laws against discharging firearms...) Thanks so much.

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
MAN, I know the stench your talking about, I had a cat once that pissed on my stove and when I turned on the stove the whole house was fogged with the stench of Cat Piss. It was unbearible we had to Leave the house untill the smell went away so we could clean the stove and get new burners.

I'am to this day cat free, I like cats as long as i don't have to live with them. Maybe the "perp" Pissed in the cowl vents of your truck. I have a few ideas how to make sure it doesn't happen again but they are probably illeagle so I won't bother. Good luck

AKA "Fastbackpimp"
http://hometown.aol.com//dasbus73/Index.html
[color:blue]VMF Member Since Nov. 99</font color=blue>
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=43855504.jpg

·
Registered
678 Posts
A mouse will make the same smell. They get everywhere in a vehicle. Try Fabreeze, it works great. Spray it and leave the windows open to let the Fabreeze smell out. They say it doesn't smell, but the smell I notice is no fresh air. The pee smell is not there and does not return.

·
Registered
560 Posts
First of all check the neighborhood for any chevy owners. Even cats are discriminating and will not use a chevy to do their business. After you park your truck at night put a bowtie on the grill and that should keep the cats away. When I first bought my house I thought I moved in next to the sewer plant, but later realized my neighbor owned a chevy.

Dave
Reading PA
66 Signal Flare Red Vert
302 2V, 15X7 Cragar SS's with 205/60s

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd suggest chaining a Rottweiler to your truck, but some other forum members have reported dogs scratching up their paint. Someone told me mothballs will keep cats away, but then you have the mothball smell. I agree with the cowl vent as the likely litterbox. Perhaps you could try parking on top of a couple of cats as a deterrent.
Good luck,

James

1965 convertible "White Pony", my own lesson in mechanical humility

·
1,214 Posts
If you suspect a source for the smell, use vinegar to neutralize the stuff. It will continue to smell unless you
do this. I don't even think plain water will be as effective. Know what you mean though peeee U! As far as
keeping them away? I like the rotweiller idea :)

Later

'66 289 2bbl. Sauterne Gold Connvertible

Shaummy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard of friends and coworkers who ge bored and stick rotten stuff like Limberger cheese under people's seats, in the engine bay or down the defroster.Kinda like in the movie Grumpy old men and the dead fish.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed
1964 Fairlane 500 2DR HT-the new project
1986 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 the "beater"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1573428&a=11959254&p=43023698.jpg

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sounds to me like a nice bowl of laced cat food in the bed of the truck is in store. I bought a house where the previous owner had several cats. The urine smell gets into the woodwork, floors etc. We ended up washing down everything with vinegar, varnishing over the spots on the floor where the males had continually pissed and eventually drenched the subfloor. We also ended up changing out all the carpeting and padding. Forget hiring a professional carpet cleaner. It is a waste of money. Pellet guns don't make much noise and can be pumped up to be nearly as poweful as a 22 rifle.

THE NINETY-NINETY RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES...
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the project takes the other 90%.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I feel your pain. My vote is for the cowl, too, as the likely point of entry for the cat shower. There's no mistaking that smell. The power of cat pee is truly humbling. As someone else said, I too had to rip out carpet and pad and clean the subfloor in a condo I had once after the PO let her cats have their way around the house. Try a soapy bleach and water flush of the cowl area and let us know how it goes.

EdK (Ed Kennedy on old forum)
'66 Coupe, '94 GT Convertible, 2000 Explorer XLT

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'd bet you the furry little f---er went in your cowl/air conditioner intake
after living with cat people...I want a huge...mean...dog;)

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks fellas for the sympathy and advice. I'm gonna try ALL the suggestions on removing the odor. As an avid sportsman for many years, I must say I've never held a feline in my crosshairs. But if I find out it's one of 'em using my truck for a porta-john, I'm gonna grab it by its shorthairs and...*%#^$&*$%^&!!!!!!! Now I'd really hate to do it - although I don't like cats, I'd not find too much pleasure in ridding myself of the neighborhood variety. Now if I were out in the country, there might be another ending to this tail......now if it happens to my wife's car or one of my mustangs....yeeepsters! I hate to think... Thanks all!

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Once one marks a spot they will all be up there too. Try bleach/water in the cowl and water to hose it out. Full strength bleach will take the paint off. Bleach will kill the cat stink and hopefully not attract any more cats. My personal weapon of choice for cats is my trusty Daisy BB gun and I'm a good shot too, LOL.

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang3.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I find really disturbing is how many of you here would waste a cat, a living animals life to preserve the smell of your car, I have lived and breathed Mustangs for the last 18 years, I have owned cats and dogs(hamsters too)and have had a cat mark his territory on a freshly wet sanded car in my not so distant past.Never would I have considered some of the "logic" suggested here.I enjoy hunting and fishing, so don't count me as a an animal loving freak of nature.Domesticated animals are a bread apart, and if a cat has a spraying problem it is generally a lack of the owners maintenance(ie. getting them fixed).I am glad that I am not a parent today, when I read the responses posted here to this question, no wonder your kids are shooting each other with this kind of mentality. A car can be replaced, a life is valued only by the experience, every living creature deserves a chance.P.S.- you shoot one of my cats or dogs and I have an 8mm bullet waiting for your car....

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed
1964 Fairlane 500 2DR HT-the new project
1986 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 the "beater"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1573428&a=11959254&p=43023698.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have to think that the heated reactions and suggested responses are primarily based upon empathy that we have all had similiar experiences. I know I have. A few months ago a cat sprayed in my garage where the '70 is being restored. I keep the overhead door cracked so our two outside cats can find shelter when needed. They are both fixed, so it wasn't them. We have two more inside cats, also fixed. The cat population is balanced out by our three dogs (one inside and two outside).

I have gotten angry with all of them on ocasion. While I don't keep a gun in the house, I have frequently remembered the comedy line of George Carlin when he was spoofing info-mercials and made reference to the "Sledge-O-Matic". His comment was that "It puts the cat out, ALL NIGHT" ;-) I think I would probably resort to "bowling language" and maybe throw a wrench.

David
Mountain Dew & Donuts, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
'66 Coupe 289 2V done for son
'70 Coupe 351W 4V (She Bear), doing for me!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
After neutralizing with clorox or vinegar mixture (I don't know what works), try leaving some Bounce fabric softener under the seats. An old used car salesman pal told me that's an old trick to disguise odors. Also, they have those mesh bags that are supposed to absorb odors. Look like they're filled with rocks to me, but they seem to work (my car seem to smell OK) Good luck . Keep a cool head - Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts