Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was thinking of getting a CD player for my 68 stang. It currently has a AM radio in a console all from a 67 so I was thinking I would buy a repo non console Radio bezel and cutting it to fit the cd player, and loose the console all together. Is there a problem with installing a newer CD player in an older mustang, I've never installed one before, I'm assuming that the clock prolly wouldn't keep time becuase there wasn't one on radio's in the 60's thus no continous power supply after the car is off.... but what else will I need, I have a broken 68 radio can I just cut the wires off of that and hook it up to the cd player and plug that into my wiring harness, or is there more to it?

thanks

G

·
0 Posts
i just took mine to audiowerks on bascom and they did everything, very good job.i have done a cheap cd player when i didn't have the money for the setup i got now.its pretty strait forward (constant power/ignition on/ground/antenta/spearkers)and it will keep the time you just need a wireing diagram and a muti-meter to double check all the wires

·
Registered
391 Posts
I used a Kenwood, when turned off, the faceplate automatically flips over and looks like a radio delete plate. Also installed a power antenna to avoid having to poke a hole in my dust cover. Some of the new players play MP3 format which means you can burn a "CD" with 170 songs.

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
I like consoles, but I wouldn't cut one for a radio. If you choose to keep the console, you can still have a CD player but it would likely be a changer in the trunk. There are AM/FM/Cassettes that will fit in the console but the selection isn't very big.
Another option would be a "secret audio" setup. Use about any radio that fits the console, and the whole radio/CD setup is controlled by a remote. A lot of show cars use this setup. They don't even bother hooking up the original AM radio, but it's in there and looks correct.
I don't have a console and cut a damaged used bezel to fit a Kenwood Excelon. I avoided all the factory radio wiring and ran all new. Power to the radio comes from an "Accessory" wire at the fuse box. This wire gets power only when the key is turned backwards or to the "ignition on" position.
Power to the clock comes from the fuse box too, from a wire that has 12 volts at all times. Likely the same one the original clock used. Any wire that is "hot" at all times will work. You'll need this hooked up because it also saves your station presets.
The cheaper way would be to forget the console because you have so many more radio choices. A console is a nice addition to the car though, see if you can come up with a way to keep it AND get the tunes you want.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Installing a cd player is an easy installation provided you have a voltmeter/ohm meter. You should just be able to cut the existing radio wires and splice them into your new one. Depending on the year of the car, you most likely only have two good speakers (the back two...the front center one is usually burned out). Just check continuity with the meter to determine which one is which and connect the wires together. As for the clock working, it should keep great time because you are hooking the cd player up to a constant 12 volt source, allowing you to retain both preset stations as well as the correct time. Just take your time and make sure you use an inline fuse to the power supply so you blow the fuse rather than frying your wiring!!

Deathman68

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I bought a repro bezel and cut it to fit a DIN chassis CD player. Pretty easy. I then took the car to Circuit City and bought an Alpine CD player during a week they were offering free installation. It took them about four hours, but it didn't cost me anything and was done well. I also installed a power antenna.

The constant power feed for the clock and radio presets can connect to the cigarette lighter wire, which is a constant 12V power source.

Check out my Website for photos.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I also have a '68 coupe in which I'm about to install a cd changer. I've installed one of those steel dividers between the trunk and rear seat. Next I'm mounting the amp and cd changer directly onto the divider. There's going to be room for a smallish Fosgate sub between the spare tire and the divider, yet still allow a decent amount of room left in the trunk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts