Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all and thank you to everyone who was trying to help me with my new CD player setup. I found out that the problem was with the Accy, connection apparently I am only getting 9V of power going through my old radio wire. I don't know if this is the correct voltage for a 68 mustang but my CD player needed 12 V. Is 9V standard for my car or is there some kind of problem with my wiring?

thanks again
Jason

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I've never seen 9 volts on my car so i'm not sure about that. Take your volt meter and measure the voltage at the car battery to make sure your reading is correct. Next go to the fuse block on the car and find one that is always on and one that is key switchable. Pull the fuse and find out which side is the hot side and which side requires the fuse to be hot. Not strip 1/4 of wire. Half wrap the fuse from the COLD SIDE of the fuse. Push the fuse back into the fuse block with the wire.

If the fuse blows then the fuse you chose does not have enough available power and you need to choose a new fuse to use. Keep spare fuses in your glove box to be safe.

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
Assuming your battery is fully charged you should get 12 volts everywhere on your car except the oddball pink "resistor" wire that runs to the positive side of the coil.
I used ACCY power but tapped into a wire at the rear of the fusebox, same thing just a slightly different location.
I have a car battery, an antenna, and a couple of old speakers laying around. When I'm trying to figure out how to hook up some old radio I can do it all on the bench then figure which wires I need in the car. You might try something similar. Make sure the CD player works first. Did you buy it new or used?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts