Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Am seeking to learn what points setting those of you are using when running a CDI box (MSD, Mallory etc) with old school points? This past weekend I swapped out a defective CDI box (15 years old) and decided to see how "Points" would do. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Set the points to book value for your engine. The CDI box does not care.
Thanks, I was headed in that direction.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
You need to check to see if the box you're using determines dwell.
(Current MSD boxes do, some of the early CD stuff does not, but I
serious doubt you're running 30+ year old CDI)
If dwell is determined electronically inside the box, then I could see
running a less than stock point gap as that would combat point bounce
at high rpm.
Are you turning better than 6500?
(On a side note, are we really talking about ignition points? It's 2019.)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To followup on my original post........
Yes, I re-installed my old points and condenser, that's 15-20 years old and set the gap to .017. I did this to remove any possibility the Ignitor I had installed was defective. The CD box and coil (MSD HVC PN 6600 and accompanying coil) are probably 10 years(?) old. It fired and idled OK, although, I could tell something wasn't right as to the idle quality and it revving easily to 3K from idle (900 Rs) wasn't as it should be.
Last evening, I reduced the point setting to .012-.013. I check the initial timing, it's 20.4º at 800-900 Rs. My normal initial is 16º. I made this correction and set the idle for 900. By this time, the engine was up to temp (car in garage -190º) the idle was much smoother for a "cammy engine" and it revved much easier to 3K. I couldn't get too crazy with revving as the exhaust is bit aggressive and being in the garage the noise was very resonant and its a "school night". My next test will be out on my local test strip, but, it's extremely warm here in the mid-atlantic, so, it'll be a few days. We're all burrowing a little deeper to escape the high temps. Yes, I'll leave the those old points installed (for now) and buy a backup set for the glove box.
I'm interested to see how the MSD HVC system operates in a street environment for myself when all of the lit. states it's for "Racing" applications. What could possibly go wrong? LOL!

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Condenser? Why would you need that? You’re talking about 1/2 a volt across the points when triggering ANYTHING like an MSD. Does MSD suggest using a condenser I wonder?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts