Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, about a mile from work, a co-workers daughter was involved in an accident. She was stopped at a stop sign waiting to make a left. As she was waiting, this A$$HOLE was more involved in talking on the cell then driving. This person rear ended the girl, forcing her out right in front of on comming traffic. As a result, she had to be air lifted to a tramma center with head injuries, bleeding from her ears and chest trama. She now rests in a coma.

As I was going home for lunch, I past the accident after it happened and after the girl was taken to the hospital. She's only 17! It was very bad.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I can't wait untill they outlaw driving with one in California.

Are peoples lives so [email protected]&*( # busy that they have to talk all the time?
I can't count all the times I have almost been hit by some Arse talking on the phone

If you want to talk, pull over and talk. If you want to drive then don't talk, this would save a lot of money and pain as I am sure that 17 year old girl is finding out.
I read about these stories all the time, some articles claim more accidents and deaths than drunk drivers and I believe them.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Sorry to hear. That sucks. In Germany its against the law to use a cell phone whilst driving. I've been cut off on my 10-speed innumerable times by drivers. In nearly all cases the person was talking on a cell phone. Its got to where I can predict when I'm going to get cut off by a car before the driver knows. I'm often yelling "Get off the F*&^% phone!"

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Cell phones are a major distraction to drivers. Certainly dialing a number takes your eyes off the road, but even the act of carrying on a conversation tends to distract attention from the very serious task of driving. Here in CA we have lots of important people who seem to combine their driving and social/business life at any opportunity. I can pick out cars driven by people on the phone by the wandering from side to side in their lane and the constant variation in forward speed. They are allowing the "theater of the mind" to be occupied with the subject at hand and are oblivious to their surroundings. Heck, it happens to me when I use the cell phone when driving. I'd like to have a buck for every time I find myself stopped at a green light behind some jerk on the cell phone. The guy that hit this young girl should be treated like a drunk driver. Pull his license, huge fine and civil compensation to the family. Oh yeah, and take away his cell phone!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
As someone who gets about 2 calls a week on his home phone (apparently I'm not at the top of anyone's social list *lol*) I honestly can't figure out how people can have so much to talk about that they do it in the car, in restaurants, in theaters, at the grocery store, in the doctor's office, bus, subway, ball games, etc.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Not only Germany, but several European countries have laws against using mobile phones while driving.
Here in Germany you have to have some kind of hand-free speech kit installed. Then it is legal to use your phone whiles driving.

In any case I dont think that this helps much at all. Everyone is still doing it the old fashioned way.
It dosent get enforced much (yet) I think. And the threat of paying a fine for it, IF you get caught, dosent seem to scare most people.

But as we all know, doing calls while driving, certainly is distracting. So its really dangerous. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It's been illegal here in Ireland for about 4 months now. Everyone uses hands-free kits, but others just dont care and continue to pick up the phone /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Gary

·
Administrator
19,514 Posts
I can always spot a cellphone user by their driving--either that or they're drunk. They both drive the same way.

The worst I ever saw was when I went to the DMV to get the new title for my fastback. A woman was sitting and talking on her cellphone when I got there. I waited at least 20 minutes during which time she continued to talk on the same call, including while she was called up to the clerk. It wasn't a business call, I could hear the conversation just fine (another gripe of mine). I think I finally got out of there after about half an hour. She talked the entire time and left a few minutes before I did as we had the same clerk. I got in my Bronco and headed up the road and spotted a car weaving up ahead about a mile later. Guess who it was?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
How true!
Can you imagine a drunk driver that is talking on the phone? How bad would that be?
As other posters have stated in many european countries it is illeagal, our sister company in Austria was making many types of hands free OEM mics and speakers when I visited there, they had mics that were to be built into visors, mirrors etc. A good Idea if you ask me.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My prayers are with her and her family!!

As someone who flys airplanes, I know what it takes to have proper "cockpit" management. Driving and talking on the phone is no different than driving and eating; driving and talking to a passenger; women putting on make-up; or just day dreaming. I think the problem is more people just do not pay the @#$% attention.

Last week within a one mile stretch on Interstate I-77, on my way to work, I was nearly run into twice by idiots on the phone. In one instance, this woman put was right beside me, put on her blinker and changed lanes - nearly into the side of my car. Fortunately, I was paying attention, blew the horn, gave her the finger and hit the breaks. She never looked over - I guess she still does not know that I was there.

I think idiot drivers need to have their licenses revoke - not take cell phones from those of us who know who to walk and chew gum (drive and talk) at the same time. We have too many laws as it is and we deffinately don't need more.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Tom...

Personally, I'd never drive and use a cell phone, except for a hands-free unit (speaker phone) and then only for casual phone calls.

My wife uses hers while driving and I'm always on her case ...I always tell her "It's better to be mad at me and alive then to be dead or cause someone else to die".

There's just nothing that important that it should interfere with the attention I pay to driving. That comes from many years and many miles of towing the race car...when I drive, 100% of my attention is on the road.

Please extend our best wishes to your co-worker for their daughters' recovery......all is not lost as I know from personal experience that a comatose patient can come out of it.

Stay safe!w

G

·
Here in NY it is illegal to drive while using a hand held cell phone. If you use a hands free set it is 0K.
Do they use the hands free sets NO. Because the sets do not come with the phone and they dont want to pay for them,Verizon charges $35.00 for it, and people are just plain lazy....Oh and do the police enforce the law?...from my law enforcement freinds not really only when it involves an accident.
It should be enforced w/a heavy hefty fine. Then the practice will stop

I hope this poor child will be ok

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I use my phone a lot while driving - I keep a hands-free set in each vehicle ($9.99 at Wally World - ear bud and VOX Mike)
If people insist on talking while driving they should have hands-free set.

Two things that hack me off - (1) people driving tying up one hand with a phone in their ear while trying to drive.
(2) People (mostly women, I hope) putting on makeup while driving.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have to relay story from OHP...Okla hiway patrol...regarding
simular situation.....trooper pulls up behind guy in new Lincoln
during AM rush hour...I-40 OKC crosstown,6 lanes.....driver
has cell phone in ear,front page of paper on steering wheel,
and cup of coffee in one hand.....after a few hundred yards
of this ,OHP hits siren and ....well lets say guy had wet stain
on front of pants during roadside lecture from officer.....
PLZ...dont use make-up or hands-on phone while driving....

prayers,and best wishes to your freinds daughter....

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If we outlaw talking on a cell phone while driving, why not outlaw the use of a radio while driving? Lots of people that I know sing along to the radio, and can get quite involved in their music. In fact, music has been known to alter states of mind and cause a lack of attention. Many people use music for this purpose, in their place of business and in their homes.

Indeed, a cell phone is a distraction but c'mon, be realistic. If we as a society outlawed everything that was dangerous, we'd all be living in bubbles being fed intravenously.
My condolences go out to all injured in any sort of vehicle involved incident whether it be caused by a cell phone user or just a distracted driver in general. I am not without my sympathies! I've been rear-ended twice, once by an individual using his cell phone while driving.

I chalk it up to life. Perhaps, instead of targeting cell phone use specifically, we should have more stringent testing and regulations for driver license issuance. Both ideas would cost a great deal of resource usage so why not target the source? A bad driver will make more mistakes than a good driver, that cannot be disputed. A good driver is less likely to yak on his or her cell phone while in rush hour traffic than is a bad driver.

As a student in a large university, I know how testing goes. The bad students fail, the good students succeed.(Typically) This should be the same principal behind driving, but it isn't.

Perhaps we've all lost focus of the fact that driving is a privilege and not a right.

Sorry for the rant...I'm as emotionally charged as everyone else is.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
in response to: "The NTSBs own investigations revel that only about 2% of accidents caused by inattentive drivers are cell phone related."
How did they get thier data? If they ask someone "Were you on a cell phone? do you think they will be honest?. 2% will be honest.

G

·
I believe there is a study by Duke University that comes to the same conclusion. They found that of those presons that had an aaccident due to a distraction, most were from influences outside the car. I know in my case, I have been distracted by outside influences and had an accident (blond on side of road). I ahve not ahd a cell phone related accident.

Anytime someone is injured, its a tragedy. I centainly hope the young girl pulls through.

G

·
It's illegal in Australia to drive while talking on a cell phone (we call them mobile phones), except for when you're using a hands free kit. There's talk of banning these too, as people can't concentrate on a conversation and drive at the same time.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
While tragic, it isn't hte phone's fault. Some people should not be allowed to drive PERIOD. I drive and use a cell phone, usually receiving calls. I never dial unless I am at a stop light.

Cell phone banning in cars is touchy. It makes sense because it protects other people, but those of us who have half a brain get screwed for other people's screw ups.

I dunno... but I absolutely DESPISE seat belt laws /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts