Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building myself the center console with the gizmos that appeal to me, but will look like the Shelby console. One of the gizmos is the temperature like I have in the overhead of my F150.

So the dumb question is, where is the temp sensing device on my F150? I know it isn't the inside temp of my truck as it varies too much from what I know to be the temp on the inside.

Any ideas? I want to know the information to then figure out how to put the temp gauge in my console.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,378 Posts
On the Explorers it's positioned on the radiator support just behind the driver's end of the bumper.
Trucks, Broncos, Expeditions, Lincolns, etc I can't say, I just happen to know about the Explorers. This display in my '67 look familiar?
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z277/GypsyR/Oheadconsole2.jpg

·
Just some guy
20,378 Posts
Heh, default reading when the sensor is disconnected. I've since finished that install and it reads dead on. In the garage anyway. There is a vehicle speed correction setup on it that ties into the speedometer speed sensor that I haven't fooled with yet and may not. It simply corrects for wind chill at speed and may be more trouble than I think it's worth.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I had no idea where it took the temp from on the truck. Embarassingly, I just assumed it was somewhere above the windshield. And to a native Californian, nope -40 does not look familiar. :p

I am going to put it in the shelby center console instead of the Shelby gauges. I know, I know, but I do not need the Shelby gauges and I love knowing the temp outside. Tho I live in SFBay and it should just read 62 and would most likely be within 5 degrees correct 90% of the time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mil1ion said:
What year and engine F150 ?
The truck is yr 2000, the engine is 5.4 360hp. But I am not going to pull the gauge out of my truck, I'll find some aftermarket gauge. I just wanted an idea of where the sensor was located.

·
Just some guy
20,378 Posts
Mine was salvaged from a 1996 Explorer, it's just fitted into a a decidely non-Ford console. Retrofitting such OEM temp/compass displays I found to be well documented on a Bronco forum. I was going to do a similar Bronco retrofit when I thought it might be neat to put in my car instead.
The '90's Ford products about all used the identical display module. Maybe your '00 truck's display looks different, I didn't think of that.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just wondering then, is the display a stand alone module that only requires the sensor and power and ground and it works? Thanks

·
Just some guy
20,378 Posts
Yes, it's an independent assembly. Here's link to a wiring diagram. Hope it works, the site is sometimes unreliable- Link
One discussion about such retrofits where that and other diagrams can be found is here- Link
There's another deal about retrofitting the later rearview mirrors that have temp and compass in the glass. I didn't pay much attention to it though because I don't care for the intrusion on my rearview vision. Might be a neat gizmo retrofit up somebody else's alley though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Thanks for answering my questions and for the links!

You're right about the unreliability of that first link!

The second link worked but the wiring diagram was down on cardomain. I'll check it later. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts