Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any data or experience on converting from the under dash parking brake to a traditional center console handle pull?:shrug:

·
Registered
74 Posts
following

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There is an article from Daze cars about doing it. I plan to tackle this myself eventually after a lot of other things, so I will be following along in this thread as well. There may be another thread on here, but I haven't found it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've got the Lokar ebrake mounted on the tunnel. It works great. There was plenty of room for the mechanism because most of it sits on top of the tunnel.

Let me know if you need more info.

-Shannon

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
I believe there's at least one old thread about this, but anyway. I hacked ALL the bits out of a Mustang II and fitted that into my '67. Not for everybody though, not least because MII donors aren't exactly on every corner. I seem to recall at least two folks using a Fox Mustang handle. Some others using Lokar setup (the simplest option I believe. And yes, Kelly's. Somewhere back when she was doing a custom console she had pictures and info on hers.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I've got the Lokar ebrake mounted on the tunnel. It works great. There was plenty of room for the mechanism because most of it sits on top of the tunnel.

-Shannon
Did you reinforce the tunnel for the Lokar handle, and are the cables connected directly to the handle? How difficult is it to set the brake? I used a Lokar handle on my FFR Cobra, but had to fab up a leverage bar because the Lokar handle by itself didn't have enough leverage to set the brakes, the e brakes were Wilwood spot calipers.

I would love to install the e-stopp brake but it's a little more than I want to pay for something that I will hardly ever use.

·
Premium Member
10,323 Posts
For my '65 I used the hand brake from an '84 Mustang. Cut the section of trans tunnel where the handle mounts out of the '84, cut a hole in the tunnel of the '65 and welded in the '84 piece. I cut the parking brake cables, overlapped the excess cable on each side and put 2 of the hardware store cable clamps on each one.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of a side tunnel mount, in the event I can't get the stock lever to work with the 8.8 rear discs I have (I really don't like the stock arrangement anyway though). I looked at a lot of salvage yard cars, and the most likely suspect I've seen is out of a first gen Lexus SC coupe. It appears very strong and long enough (I think) to have plenty of leverage. You could even reuse the leather boot which just snaps (again, I think) down over it. This idea is only half-baked. If I decide to fully roast it I'll let y'all know how it goes. Any yard would probably just about give 'em away, zero demand and all. The mounting of it vertically might be a challenge, don't know. It could be located as far forward or back as you want though. No substantial cutting of the hump required. Here are two pics, one engaged and one down;

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts

-Shannon

That's how I've got my Lokar handle mocked up at the moment on my '69.

Haven't finished setting it all up but I like the traditional location behind the shifter.

I've got Mustang Cobra rear discs and Lokar black handle and Lokar cables.

Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
We just did one on a 65 but the tunnel was raised for a Tremec so it gave plenty of room. Right after we finished it I found this E-Stopp Brake

Seems like you get pretty close to that estopp design with just a linear actuator and a switch. Like the idea a lot but I wouldn't pay $500 for it myself.

Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its almost $500 but the Lokar handle is over $100, not the ultimate in quality but it works. Then we had several hours modifying the tunnel and mounting the handle, so in the big picture its not that much more. I have not used the Estopp yet but showed it to a couple of customers that want it so I will install one eventually. The nice thing is it stops when it reaches 600 lbs, can mount it anywhere, fairly compact. looking forward to playing with it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Did you reinforce the tunnel for the Lokar handle, and are the cables connected directly to the handle? How difficult is it to set the brake? I used a Lokar handle on my FFR Cobra, but had to fab up a leverage bar because the Lokar handle by itself didn't have enough leverage to set the brakes, the e brakes were Wilwood spot calipers.

I would love to install the e-stopp brake but it's a little more than I want to pay for something that I will hardly ever use.

I used a small plate to reinforce the underside. Its not welded, but rather bolted in with the ebrake. I've never had any trouble with it holding the car.. however on steep hills sometimes that last click can be tough. I'm using Cobra single caliper disc brakes on the rear
so I don't know if that makes a difference. Lokar offers an installation kit that allows you to fasten the OEM cable to the brake mechanism.

-Shannon

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I am also using the Lokar handle mounted on the top of the tunnel. I have a T56 transmission which prevents the use of the dash mounted parking brake since there is no room for the equalizer bar under the car.

For reinforcement, I welded some 1/4" thick steel pads to the top of the tunnel and tapped them for the mounting hardware. It's a very sturdy mount. Setting the brake is easy for me and it holds the car very well.

Mock up:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Greg, are those Lokar cables or factory cables?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts