Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
I used the E-brake out of an 86 Mustang GT in my 66. I did add a reinforcement plate underneath the floor with welded captured nuts to bolt everything down. Surrounded in in a DIY console that I tried to make look like a 68 Shelby setup.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang coupe, 331 engine
8 Posts
Im resurrecting this thread because I searched around and this was probably the most relevant one.
I want a tunnel mounted E brake. Personal preference I guess, but I dont want electronic, or foot operated. Im doing a manual conversion and I like having a hand operated brake for hill starts.
I have an 8.8 rear from a 95-2000 explorer with disc brakes. I will have a TKO in there, so I figure while the tunnel is empty and the seats/carpet is out for me to install the trans, the time is right to do the handbrake. I really want to be able to build a custom console around it, arm rest, cup holder or two. Right now I see that the 05-09 mustangs had a handle that is offset to the drivers side out of the way of other things, and has a cable that is housed so you can locate the balance/splitter piece further down the tunnel. I like the look of that, and the handles are fairly cheap - the later Fox body handles are quite pricey now, and I dont like the amount of cutting required for the lokar handle (or the design of it - looks really tight to the floor when its "down").

Im wondering if anyone has seen an 05-09 system adapted to a classic? or if anyone has experience working on such a handle? Those cars had an 8.8 rear end too, so do you know if the parking brake mechanism was similar to the explorer system (mini drum brakes inside the discs)?

·
Hi, how ya doin
1,977 Posts
I installed a center mount emergency brake from a 1987 Mustang in my 69 Coupe & used the Lokar emergency brake cables & the Ford Racing front parking brake cable #- M-2810-A to hook the hand brake to the Lokar brake cables. I also made a trans tunnel support piece for where I installed the emergency brake handle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's awesome. I think I'm going to go with a newer style handle because I can get a brand new one cheaper and they mount a little off to the side. The downside is I will need to fabricate a special hump on the tunnel. The cable side of it will be fun I'm sure.
I installed a center mount emergency brake from a 1987 Mustang in my 69 Coupe & used the Lokar emergency brake cables & the Ford Racing front parking brake cable #- M-2810-A to hook the hand brake to the Lokar brake cables. I also made a trans tunnel support piece for where I installed the emergency brake handle.
View attachment 745827

View attachment 745828

View attachment 745829

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
113 Posts
Im resurrecting this thread because I searched around and this was probably the most relevant one.
I want a tunnel mounted E brake. Personal preference I guess, but I dont want electronic, or foot operated. Im doing a manual conversion and I like having a hand operated brake for hill starts.
I have an 8.8 rear from a 95-2000 explorer with disc brakes. I will have a TKO in there, so I figure while the tunnel is empty and the seats/carpet is out for me to install the trans, the time is right to do the handbrake. I really want to be able to build a custom console around it, arm rest, cup holder or two. Right now I see that the 05-09 mustangs had a handle that is offset to the drivers side out of the way of other things, and has a cable that is housed so you can locate the balance/splitter piece further down the tunnel. I like the look of that, and the handles are fairly cheap - the later Fox body handles are quite pricey now, and I dont like the amount of cutting required for the lokar handle (or the design of it - looks really tight to the floor when its "down").

Im wondering if anyone has seen an 05-09 system adapted to a classic? or if anyone has experience working on such a handle? Those cars had an 8.8 rear end too, so do you know if the parking brake mechanism was similar to the explorer system (mini drum brakes inside the discs)?
I have an explorer 8.8 and I used 2 right hand cables for explorer, made a mount under plate (convertible) to hold cables. I cut 7 rings off of springs to make it the right length and take strength out to be able to pull the original under dash hand brake. used a generic throttle spring to hold some tension on ft. cable. Its was touchy to adjust.

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
On mine I took a sharp chisel and a hammer to the junkyard and chopped out the brake and a good part of the sheetmetal around it. Then at home I cut my tunnel and trimmed up the donor section with power tools until they mated to my satisfaction and welded them. No "fabrication" needed.

(These days I have a battery powered sawzall.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Updating this thread. I have installed a 2010-2014 Mustang parking brake on the tunnel. No cutting or welding of the tunnel needed, just one fairly large hole for the cable, and 3 smaller holes for mounting bolts. The explorer rear end has 2 lengths of cables, I ordered 2 of the longer ones (Dorman P/N C660004). The problem with those is that the cable ends don't match the newer mustang equalizer bar, so I cut off the cable ends and welded new ones on. Brackets are welded on the tunnel, and the brake seems to work pretty well, I'm sure I can adjust it but I want to test it out and let the pads break in etc... I will get some photos soon, I already have some up on my instagram. Interestingly the late model parking brake handle fits really nicely around the classic seat giving a very ergonomic pull. It looks like the handle was made for this car, but its going to need a pleather boot to cover the mechanism.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts