Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got new bushings for the idler arm to center link. However, I don't think I can do this at home without a press. Even if I had a press, I don't see how I can get it out as both sides stick out. Has anyone else had luck with doing one of these?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It's easiest to just replace the idler arm.

However, the rubber is likely bonded to the metal now and the fix for that is to heat it all the way around with a butane torch until the rubber starts smoking. Then take a large dowel or something similar immediately afterwards (while it's still smoking) and smack it real good with a hammer, and this will knock and old bushing out.

·
Registered
33,901 Posts
No, the new bushing is in a steel sleeve. The old bushing, steel sleeve and all, must be pressed out.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
So I got new bushings for the idler arm to center link. However, I don't think I can do this at home without a press. Even if I had a press, I don't see how I can get it out as both sides stick out. Has anyone else had luck with doing one of these?
If you can post a photo, that will help. I don't recall any of the bushings having an outward flange on each end. A rubber bushing has to be installed from one side or the other. You will need a press to install the new bushing. A roller bearing kit can be an option. They don't require a press to install but are a lot more money.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Bushings--Plural means you are wanting to install these in the original style idler. Lizer has it right, easy way out is to just buy a new one.'

To get the old, rust, stuck, STUBBORN ones out is not fun, but well worth it on a original C7ZA 3355 B.

Wow, how to help someone who hasn't done.=== You can Sawsall them CAREFULLY cutting through the inner steel sleeve. Only problem is cutting into the casting of the idler.

I remove all rubber. This exposes only the thin steel outer sleeve HELL for tight pressed in the casting. Then heat red hot/white hot and collapse the sides. Takes more than one heat, collapse, etc. Finally the old bushing will fall out.

Pressing out is not usually successful. To thin of a wall to deal with.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a photo of the idler arm without the rubber bushing. I tried to press it and the rubber insert popped out with ease. Trying to get the metal sleeve out now.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts