Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm wondering how much easier it it to disengage a Centerforce clutch as it compares to the average stock "three-fingered" style clutch.

Any other advantages of Centerforce over "three-fingered"?

Also, if I'm to upgrade from a stock 3-finger-type setup, what components do I need (been a LONG time since I did a clutch, ie clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. Where can I order a bolt-in kit for a decent price?)

Thespazardman<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by thespazardman on 04/17/01 03:18 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'm going to try to use a Centerforce clutch in my 66. All I read about them is that they require less pedal effort than a stock clutch, yet are made for higher performance. It seems to be a beneficial attribute, especially if you are using the stock Z-bar setup.

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

G

·
0 Posts
I have a Centerforce on a 351C and it is much better than old 3-finger stock style. I did have to modify the swivel that the clutch rod attaches to in order to clear my headers. You will need to remove the clutch pedal assist spring under the dash. I shopped around and got a real good deal on my set up. I will post the information for you tomorrow.

1970 Mach 1, soon to be finished, 351 4V, Calypso Coral, top loader

·
Registered
391 Posts
My vert has an 11" Dual Friction Certerforce clutch in front of a toploader and a 9" pumpkin with 3.25:1 gears. In front is a 351W with F303 roller cam (.512" lift), Twisted Wedge heads (2.02" intake and 1.60" exhaust valves), A351 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 4160 carburetor (600 CFM), JBA headers, FlowKool water pump, etc. That clutch engages as delicately or hard as asked. The pedal pressure is very light. So much so I am contemplating adding a little stronger external clutch pedal return spring.

Do I recommend this clutch set-up? You bet! As regards the Borg-Warner style 3-finger clutch, don't waste your time and money.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44358030&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
I bought my 11 inch Centerforce II clutch from Midway Industries, Inc. 2266 Crosswind Dr. Prescott, AZ 86301. Phone was 520-771-8422. The cost was $264 for clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, drop shipping charge and freight. None of the mail order houses like Summit and Jegs could match this price. Unless you are building a street beast there is no need for the added expense of the dual friction clutch. Standard Centerforce has 30% more holding power than stock with the Centerforce II having 60% more and the dual friction having 90% more holding power.

1970 Mach 1, soon to be finished, 351 4V, Calypso Coral, top loader

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So for a mild 302, a centerforce I (10"?) would work just fine?

Thespazardman

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes. Excellent choice.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44358030&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts