Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

In the near future the car will be ready, so I have a problem that needs solving.

Newly Rebuilt c4
Brand new trutrac/moser rear end
Newly built 408 with hyd roller
3" duel magna flow exhaust
New ceramic coated 6208 hooker headers.

All of that needs to be run In, each item has its own advised procedure so major headache (but a nice one after 4 years build) coming up....

Appreciate some advice on what to focus on.

The ceramic coated headers are an issue as all advice I find is they can't be used for initial setup, so I bought a pair of stock cast manifolds, was going to bodge together some temp pipes to get the gases out the garage but now read the piston rings need load, major pain as don't have a stock exhaust to put on for this first period, I either adapt the 3" duel system to go on the stock manifolds, bite the bullet and spend on an exhaust system just for piston ring bedding, somehow put the 3" system plus ceramic coated headers on and avoid the finish being killed in the initial setup of everything..... Or I don't know.

It's a pickle, 馃榿

I'm in the UK and haven't managed to source an old exhaust to use tempory yet.

Any advice welcome, cheers team 馃憤馃槉

Premium Member
What is the reasoning behind the headers not being used?

Premium Member
The coated headers have a break-in procedure to cure the coating. The engine has a break-in procedure. The 2 procedures are not the same.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers bud, yeah I'm thinking similar, initial 20 mins or so in the garage with stock manifolds and a mock up exhaust then the ceramic final curing cycle and out on the road with it all together to load the rings.... Time will tell馃憤

Registered
With a hydraulic roller cam I'd put the ceramic coated headers on to begin with.

Registered
I broke in my hydraulic flat tappet cam using brand new ceramic Hooker Super Comp headers - they've survived unscathed as far as I can tell. That was about 1500 miles ago and the headers still look as good as when they came out of the box. YMMV.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
It would save me soooo much grief if I can.... I went hydrolic roller and the ceramic headers with the fact of not needing the elevated run in so thought I'd get away with it. It's just the heat generated from the piston rings, keeping in top of the tune shouldn't be a problem.... I'm a few weeks away from it so will decide nearer the time, does seem to be a point of a grey area, may get an initial period done static with the stock manifolds still however it may depend on the day, the responses here aren't black and white, much like my online research. Good to hear some success with the shorter route, cheers people馃憤

Registered
If the headers give sign that the tune is off and they re too hot just shut the car off that's the beauty of the roller cam.

Reactions: Dragslug
1 - 9 of 9 Posts