Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all once again. Can one of you guys in the know give me the pros and cons of ceramic coating vs. header wrapping? Obviously ceramic is better looking but more expensive, wrapping cheaper but a bit fugly. What about engine bay temps? Other pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I was told that wrapping the headers would cause moisture to be trapped underneath, resulting in rusty headers. :(

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
What about engine bay temps?
As I understand it, that's what the wrap is made to reduce. And I've also read several places that using wrap will void any warranty the headers may carry.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Don't use the wrap, my brother didn't listen to a good friend of mine who told them they would rust out. guess what he should have listened the rusted out in no time same headers unwrapped still solid.

Joe

·
Registered
662 Posts
I destroyed a set of hooker supercomps with that wrap. Just go to the JBA website it has a ineresting piece on wrapping headers

·
Registered
630 Posts
not to mention the coating looks alot cleaner than the wrap.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the exhaust header on my Harley Davidson ceramic coated. Don't think for a minute you will get a dramatic reduction in radiated heat from the header tubes. Any difference you get will be subtle. However, it does look great and holds up very well.
What was said above regarding header wrap is very true. It does trap moisture and will cause accelerated deterioration of the header tubes.
These guys did my Harley header: http://www.performancecoatings.com
Very nice job and much less expensive than most of the other vendors.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
So the question is: Do you want them to burn out faster(header wraps) or be more expensive (ceramic)?

Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts