Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going back to when I first started in MCA and the local club (about 13 years ago), to get your gold card judging certification, you pretty much needed a couple of letters from current gold card judges, written to the head judges. But before you did that, there was a judging certification test which seemed geared more towards the daily and occasional driven classes. This was usually the first step in judging (after carrying a clipboard for the afternoon). From a previous conversation and reading some threads, it appears this has changed.

First – who - within MCA - do you first need to contact to become a certified judge? Is this similar to the test that they used to give out when you started to judge which ‘certified’ you for the driven classes (daily and occasional driver)?

Next – if you want to become a Gold Card Judge, it is my understanding that judging shows with current gold card judges is what you will need to do as well as a test. Is this correct?

Any insight into the process will be greatly appreciated.

This post was originally going to be an email to Charles Turner since I know he is the ANHJ for the class i am interested in – but then I figured others might be interested down the road if they decide to do a search in the forum :)

G

·
0 Posts
To become involved in MCA Judging, here is a current description:

-Assuming you have never been to a National show, attend a couple Nationals and ask to be an assistant judge at the judges meeting. Assistant judges do not have to be certified. Basically, you follow around the judging team and observe the judging, you may be asked to write the deductions on the judging sheets. Writing is highly recommended so you become familiar with the sheets.

-If you like judging and want to continue, then you can become a certified judge by passing a written test. There's a written test for each class(es) you would like to judge. Usually the corresponding assistant national head judge or former ANHJ has written the test. Currently, Joe Odine, MCA ANHJ for 4th/5th Generation is the test administrator. You request the test from him and then send it back to him when it's done. He will then either grade it himself or send it to the appropriate ANHJ for grading. If you pass the test, you become a certified judge indefinitely and get a certified judge card.

-If you still want to continue further and become a Gold Card Judge, the process is a little different (at least as I know it now). I'll describe how I go through the Gold Card Judge process. First, I like for you to judge at least 5-6 National shows as a certified judge. Once you do that, communicate with me that you want to become a Gold Card Judge. For me, I no longer require 2 recommendation letters from other Gold Card Judges. What I will do at this point is either judge with you personally or put you with a Gold Card Judge for evaluation. After 1 or 2 times of this, I would make the determination of whether or not you should be a Gold Card Judge. If I think you're ready, I will recommend you to the National Head Judge and the Head Judge will issue a card and certificate. If not, then I would give feedback on areas you need to improve on and we could re-evaluate the next show season. Once you become a Gold Card, it's good for 5 years and you must attend at least 1 National Show a year to maintain your GC status. When you are a GC Judge, you are the lead judge on a team and can judge alone if necessary(Certified judges cannot judge without a GC Judge). If there is a disagreement, you have the authority to have the final word. You are viewed more as an ambassador of MCA and expected to maintain a professional, positive and educational judging experience to the owner and other judges.

·
Registered
45 Posts
:)
Charles

Joe Odine is now the judging test corodinator now not Chuck Micele. Joe Odine is near Detroit, MI and his address is on the MCA website.
;)

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks, edit made!

Wally is working on a more official guidelines document for this.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I will be very upfront and honest in this. I would love to become a judge someday, but I have absolutely no mechanical aptitude, but I do have a love of the early Mustangs. Is there a reasonable expectation that I might in some way qualify as a judge ?

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Absolutely! It's just a matter of studying and working on judging teams, mechanical ability isn't necessary at all.

G

·
0 Posts
Laurie is right. There is no mechanical requirements to be a judge, although restoring a car will teach you a lot of the details. So long as you know the rules and how to apply them, you most certainly could be an MCA judge!

·
Registered
589 Posts
And if I want to become a judge, don't you think I should wait until my car has been retired so as not to seem as though judges are in a a "click" if my car is a gold award winning car ?? I know I cannot and would not judge my own car, but I would not want to even give a slight hint of impropriety

G

·
0 Posts
Nope, you don't have to wait until you retire your car. Everyone knows the rule that you can't judge your own car or a car you have been involved with restoring/preparing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks ! I am planning on being in Pensecola for the show in the Spring, so i might just ask to help with judging so that I might start the process ! I appreciate your help very much !

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I highly recommend being the "clip board" carrier scribe on the team. It's the best way to get started and learn what the judges are looking for and where they find points deductions as well as when the owner goes the extra step.

Judging can be hard work but when you see other cars intimately and can apply what you learn to your own pony it is well worth it.

J.

G

·
0 Posts
The first MCA national of '09 is next month in Indianapolis, so I'm confused as to what the complaint is here?

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
I can tell you that, as an MCA certified judge for 67/68 Shelbys, I judge the 68's and not any 67's. This is because my car is entered in the 67 Shelby Trailered Concours class. Not allowed.

But, I have attended the Indiana SAAC Spring Fling numerous times and have always thought the judging fair. Some years, some SAAC National judges show up and judge at this show. And, it's nothing like the SAAC judging you'll find at the SAAC national Conventions. I'll bet they might have had a lessened turnout this year.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Roddster said:
........... I'll bet they might have had a lessened turnout this year.

Fully understand and agree. We discuss often what must take place to keep organizations appearing unfair and the efforts to remain above reproach.

There is nothing that will run attendees away from a show quicker (except for those benefiting) that the appearance of bias IMHO. Owners tend to wind themselves up enough on their own without any help ;)

Unfortunately not everyone sees it the same way

·
Registered
589 Posts
I assisted with the judging by being the clipboard carrier in Indianapolis this past weekend. This was my 2nd I enjoyed it very much as I had a very thorough and patient gold-card judge to "show me the ropes". His name is Mike Epperson. He took his time, explained to me what he was seeing and what I should be looking for on the cars we were judging. Take it from me, it is not an easy task by any means, as each and every car must be thoroughly inspected on the inside , outside, top side and even the bottom side. That entails getting down on your back to look at the undercarriage of each and every car assigned to be judged. Then, you have to put into words POLITELY what you have seen and why you are making a points deduction. Also, it is nice to make positive comments on the sheets and let the owners know what is extremely good about his or her car. It is a very enjoyable thing to me to do this and to see the good and the bad in cars and to meet all the people associated with these cars.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
1MoTime - thanks for helping out. I know that every group can use the help and the more help the more time you can take getting a little teaching in while completing the tasks assigned. What I find even more rewarding is working with the owners to improve their car from show to show and then the opportunity to reward them once they reach their goal.

Thanks again for helping.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks Jeff! As stated, I very much enjoyed the opportunity to help with the judging, seeing some fine cars and meeting even finer people...Car owners, spouses and even new faces I met at the judges meeting! Even more of a surprise was meeting Joyce and Mike Epperson from Utah! They were parked directly across from me at the show, and I was fortunate enough to be assigned to assist Mike with judging the Concours Driven 64-66 class. First class folks all the way around!!

I will be more than happy to volunteer my time in assisting with the judging in Raleigh in 3 weeks !

1 - 20 of 42 Posts