Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the stock max rpms on a 73 302 with a C4? i put in 4000 rpm from the fomoco site as they rated it at max hp and i got 350 cfm and then started to wonder what was the max rpm. I want a new 4V carb and intake and was looking at the Keith Dorton holley at 390 cfm, should i stick with my motorcraft 2100D? right now she a daily driver,will i have problems starting her in 50 degree weather?? thats as cold as it gets here in winter ohh yah one other thing anyone know of any good low cfm 4bbl carbs

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If you want cfm with low maintenance, you may want to try an edelbrock 500CFM with an electric choke.....I have a 600 holley on my current 302......I consider it very driveable, but I stick with the convention of smallish carbs (600 on a 351-429 ci engine)

I'll be assembling a 2V headed cleveland soon that my 600 will be perfect for.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Put a stock 1.08 4100 Autolite on a short spacer (to aid gasket sealing and isolate the carb from heat) on your new 4V manifold and you'll have a reliable performer. I still have the stock 4100 on my D-coder (added some performance items years ago) and it still starts reliably cold or hot and gives commendable performance. Even letting it sit for 4-5 months isn't a problem; dump a little gas down the airhorn to get the engine started and it works fine as soon as gas gets to the bowl.

4K is a reasonable shift point for a stock longblock.....depending on rear gear (less gear=higher rpm for a advantageous transition). As an example, with a lot of gear (5.14's), I can short-shift the race car at 5600 rpm with no penalty, but if I had 4.11's, I'd have to wind it out more so it didn't drop out of it's prime torque range upon the shift (at least with a C4)...

Hope that helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts