Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my 2bbl manifold to a Performmer 289 and the original 2v carb with a Holley 600cfm 4v. I need to hook up the linkage and fuel supply line. I called Summit and checked their web site, but could not find the appropriate parts #'s. Does anyone know what part #'s I need for this? Also, would I need the kick down linkage (20-91) for a stock 289 with C4. Pictures of a completed job would also be great.

TIAA
John

·
6,855 Posts
When I did the same thing on my '65, I used the fuel line kit and fuel filter (little clear jobbie) that came with the 4160, with no changes to my stock fuel line other than bending it a little. Later on when I replaced the fuel pump, I pitched all that and went with the hard line you see below. I assume your 4160 came with a hose barb on a banjo fitting, so you can plumb it up with flexible fuel line if you want.

Here's mine:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/DSC21107.JPG

That's just the stainless steel version of the stock throttle rod with a push nut on it, to hold it in place, hooked to the throttle lever of the holley. Your stock one will work. That's what I used for years. You need a return spring of some kind. You can see the one's I bought from summit below. That's probably overkill, but the spring on the carb itself is not strong enough to return the throttle to closed by itself.

As far as the kickdown linkage, I think your's is completely different then the stock bell crank assembly I have mounted below. I would think you would want to hook one up, or your tranny won't kick down automatically. It wouldn't HURT anything...it just wouldn't be right.

Good Luck!

Phil

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
From your bio, I'll assume you're working on a '66. You don't need any extra parts to make a kick down work on a '66, as it is different than the '65's and '69-later with the kickdown rod.

You just need the little cable (available through NPD) that goes from the arm on the accelerator rod (sticks straight down in front of the firewall) to the down shift lever.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Phil asnd John, nice looking cars btw. I have the kickdown cable but thought I needed something else based on the big bold red lettering in the card installation instructions referring to a special Holley part #. for Ford's with auto trans. I may not have the correct throttle linkage though, it doesn't look like yours Phil. It's just a straight rod with a slight bend in order to line up with the carb and an adjustable sleeve. Where the originals shaped like yours? If so, I can just order one up.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
Here's a picture of my set up. At present, a Edelbrock 600 cfm on a stock manifold. I used a spherical end I bought from Granger. It was really cheap, very secure and works very smoothly....plus it adds a little high tech to my otherwise very boring engine compartment. This set up should work equally as well on a Holley. BTW, my car has a C4 too.
http://a1.cpimg.com/image/A9/DC/12037801-d91b-02000152-.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I definitel;y have the wrong accelerator rod. Time to break out the catalogs and credit card. Can probably use it as a good excuse to pick up some other "necessary" items.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts