Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the best time to change oil? Spring before you start it up after a winters nap or in the fall just before you but it away for the winter.

I run full synthetic and put less than a 1000 miles a year. (Only have it out May through Sept.)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Since you live in the Great White North, and you put only 1,000 miles on the oil, I would suggest changing the oil in the spring. This would be to remove any moisture which may have accumulated over the winter.

In reality, you'd be fine if you didn't change the oil. Any moisture would quickly dissipate when the engine gets to operating temperature.

That's my take, anyway.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
There are 100 opinions on this.
Since cost is fairly cheap compared to building an engine, and advice from my builder, I do oil changes in both fall and spring...

In spring after initial start up and driving few weeks with the 10w-30 I put in it in fall, I switch up to 10w-40. Engine builder said in warmer weather it'll raise your pressure a bit more.

In fall you don't want to store/ let sit old oil as the acids from gas normal wear, just sit inside engine (longer term storage it'll eat at bearings). I use 10w-30 so thinner for early cool weather start up.

Overall for cheap insurance for my 390. Perhaps a bit over kill but i'll sleep better

·
Registered
502 Posts
Since you live in the Great White North, and you put only 1,000 miles on the oil, I would suggest changing the oil in the spring. This would be to remove any moisture which may have accumulated over the winter.

In reality, you'd be fine if you didn't change the oil. Any moisture would quickly dissipate when the engine gets to operating temperature.

That's my take, anyway.
I AGREE and thats pretty standard for motorcycles that are garaged all winter.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
How much acids and contaminants can there be after 1,000 miles? :shrug:

As you say, can't hurt to change it before and after, but dollars to doughnuts it makes no difference.
In my comment I did say oil weight change also.
As noted in my pic, and profile, I'm running tri-power.
With way more carburation than most any here, my oil gets much dirtier than way quicker. So I have to change mine out as I do...

·
Premium Member
13,825 Posts
always change the oil before the car sits for any extended length of time.

Not an opinion, but fact: your engine has blow by, to a lessor or greater degree. That blow by is acidic in nature. It does mix with your oil, and creates a very nice acid bath for your bearings to marinate in ALL WINTER LONG. Get the motor good and hot, then change the oil. Your bearings will thank you.

Z

PS note:

Especially if you've ever, even once, driven the car for less than 20-30 minutes. Short driving times do not allow the moisture in the oil to burn off, creating a moisture laden sludge that's not doing a great job of lubrication. Changing the oil gets rid of some of it, and good synthetic oil and longer drives will keep sludge from forming in the first place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Change before you put it away for long periods of time. and run it next season. As someone who was mainly a performance boater, That's what we do. You keep it inside I assume. your oil will be fine or next year, if you don't feel comfortable change it then also. But as others say, the important thing is not having used oil for storage because of the caustic reasons. Hey my first post. I just got back into the mustang arena from boating all my life.

·
Premium Member
7,400 Posts
I'm in the camp with the end of season crowd. Also will add, when I do fire up the old girl, I go for a minimum ten mile, or so, run. I believe it not only charges the battery, but, it allows the engine to reach its full operating temp, thus, burns up all of that nasty stuff that "Z" and others have mentioned. However, I am guilty, at times, since I don't put thousands of miles on the engine, I may change the oil only and not the filter. Many times the oil still has its golden hue. If it weren't for the fact my DD runs 5W-30, two are diesel, and one is Mobile 1, I would recycle it in them.

·
Premium Member
13,825 Posts
Davey65Hipo;10229372 "......... Hey my first post. I just got back into the mustang arena from boating all my life.[/QUOTE said:
welcome to the VMF.

I belong to / monitor many auto and vintage auto enthusiast web sites. The VFM by FAR has the best all-around group of people contributing. Not just knowledgeable, but knowledgeable without an attitude. Sounds basic, but you'd be surprised how many vintage car web sites have a snobbish atitute and have more cliques than there were in high school. Not here though.

Z

PS. is it true the 2 best days of boat ownership are the day it's purchased, and the day it's sold ? I hear that said, but I've never had the pleasure of owning anything that floated., all the boats I've enjoyed were on temp. loan to me so missed out on the buying and selling part.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
PS. is it true the 2 best days of boat ownership are the day it's purchased, and the day it's sold ? I hear that said, but I've never had the pleasure of owning anything that floated., all the boats I've enjoyed were on temp. loan to me so missed out on the buying and selling part.
No. The only people who say that are the people who buy junk and don’t maintain it. Boats are great. So great that I have 2 of them and use them frequently.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
No. The only people who say that are the people who buy junk and don’t maintain it. Boats are great. So great that I have 2 of them and use them frequently.
I agree. I owned a small boat while I was living near Savannah, GA and really enjoyed cruising out to the islands of the intercoastal waterway. Once I moved to Colorado Springs I didn't have as many places to use it so I sold it. Not because I wanted to just because it wasn't getting used. Now that I am in Texas I wish that I had it. Simple maintenance of a boat goes a long way in keeping the experience pleasure able. BTW. I sold bought it for $1200 and sold it for $1500 so no they aren't always a money pit.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I probably have one of the dumber questions in an oil thread, how long to you run the engine with the new oil before putting the car into hibernation?

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
welcome to the VMF.

Z

I miss my ski boat terribly. We had so much fun in that boat! I was very sad watching the new owner drive away with it. Had we not moved to Southern Canada (Iowa), we’d still have it.

Mark

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I miss my ski boat terribly. We had so much fun in that boat! I was very sad watching the new owner drive away with it. Had we not moved to Southern Canada (Iowa), we’d still have it.
Mark

I'm in this camp, boats are no different than Mustangs, while (most) everyone is happy on purchase day, the same kind of people that would be happy the day they sell their Mustang would be happy selling their boat. They just didn't have the right Boat/Mustang and missed out on the real experience for any number of a thousand reasons e.g. buying a nasty big block flat bottom ski boat that beat the crap out of SWMBO (requiring a running bra instead of a string bikini ;o)))), broke things and cost an arm and leg to run and pull skiers. When SWMBO ain't happy - aint't no happiness to be had.

When I sold my 36' racing hull with a cruising interior sailboat I lived on for years in SF Bay, including the first 5 months of my first son's life, I admit a tear or two crossed this mother's-son's manly face. I was broken hearted as we moved from the Bay area to Boulder; my wife openly wailed and sobbed. The day I sell my Mustang will be no different, there's almost a; "pry it from my cold..." attitude but I don't want to appear too arrogant in front of the powers-that-be...

·
Premium Member
7,400 Posts
I probably have one of the dumber questions in an oil thread, how long to you run the engine with the new oil before putting the car into hibernation?
Yes, an interesting question because you have two opposing issues......
Scenario...I just changed oil and want to store the car.

1. Do I drive the car for 10-15 miles to circulate the fresh oil, burn off any remaining acids and blow-by in what little old oil remains, then, park it?

2. Do I leave it un-run without circulating the new oil, thereby, leaving any of the old oil lying around eating away (graphic comment)at the metal parts?

My vote would be for #1.

Not sure this helps, but, others may offer their thoughts.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
IMHO....

1. Get the engine up to operating temperature before draining the oil and let it drain for as long as possible/practical.

2. Replace the oil filter, of course.

3. Refill with fresh motor oil.

Now, at this point you're kind of in a quandary... do you start the engine and verify no leaks and circulate the new oil, but also add combustion by-products to the crankcase or not? I make the assumption that the new oil will contain enough anti-acid protection in the additive package to negate the effect of running the engine for a minute or two.

Wow, I think I just had a life-altering moment! I always considered myself anal-retentive, to a fault, but if that were true I'd have installed an accumulator to the oiling system and would have charged THAT with fresh oil instead of running the engine. Who knew?

·
Premium Member
13,825 Posts
my vote goes to the driving the car after the oil change, or at least getting the new oil up to operating temperature for say, 10 minutes minimum. You can do that in the driveway if needed. Then shut it down and have a good cry cause that first spring drive is a long ways off.

yes there might be x amount of blow by during that last drive before storage, but nothing like 3,000+ miles of stop and go blowby. If you have the engine good and hot before you change the oil, it will still be pretty hot when the new oil goes in and the engine is started again. It won't take long for the new oil to get up to operating temperature

Z

1 - 20 of 23 Posts