Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,357 Posts
It's in the works that Autoguide will be making it mandatory for all forum members to change their passwords and then change them again at least once a year. Changing it now would be an excellent idea but be aware you will most likely be changing it yet again fairly soon. For some folks who favor certain simple passwords this will be an annoyance they'll just have to get over.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Passwords suck! I actually have a 2 page spreadsheet here at work of all the ones I have to use on almost a daily basis- and they require being changed every 3 months! Keep in mind they must be at least 8 characters long, contain at least 1 each of a number, letter, and character, numbers can't be ascending or descending, upper and lower case must be used, can't contain anything that might be similar to what you've used over the course of the last 10 years, and MUST be a strong enough combination that there's no way in h*ll you'll ever remember what it was once you've entered it in the first place!!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Passwords suck! I actually have a 2 page spreadsheet here at work of all the ones I have to use on almost a daily basis- and they require being changed every 3 months! Keep in mind they must be at least 8 characters long, contain at least 1 each of a number, letter, and character, numbers can't be ascending or descending, upper and lower case must be used, can't contain anything that might be similar to what you've used over the course of the last 10 years, and MUST be a strong enough combination that there's no way in h*ll you'll ever remember what it was once you've entered it in the first place!!
Same here! If it wasn't for that spread sheet I would be at a loss.

One thing that really gets me is that in the interest of increased security, they make people use some totally impossible to remember password on some of our company servers, so people write them down on little sticky notes that they stick under their keyboards....real secure like.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
^What he said.
Best part of being retired from the military is not dealing with that BS.
(and the "don't write them down" part too)

·
Spammer Hammer
9,536 Posts
Guys, download this app if you are using a smart phone or pad that uses apps. It is the only government security approved app and it now uses biometrics so you don't have to remember any passwords.

keeper® password & data vault

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
You mean Bartl really doesn't want me to meet sexy singles in my area?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I too have 2 pages of PWs on my desk for the whole world to see. and i can care less.

they drive you nuts and you cant remember them due to all their security measures and characters

The only security i have on my open list to all is i use 8 digits for everything BUT i transpose 2 digits so its only me who knows that part.

then i have my banking info in my wallet transposed the same way.

i dont keep anything on my phone

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
It could have been BR549... $10 says the younger crowd Googles that!! LOL

I know what BR549 is. Check out my parents phone number from back in the 50's.

This is where I got the silly idea of using a blue ribbon for our logo. We needed something quick and easy. It didn't matter what we used, we were sure Opentracker Racing wasn't going to work.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Probably explains the ridiculous amount of Junk email I've been getting the last few weeks.
Big $$$ in selling valid E-mail lists, even more so for specific marketplaces. I'm estimating its probably worth $250k+ easy. I doubt they'd go straight for selling to the auto niche marketing though since it was hacked for risk of being ID'd.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I heard after WWII when Los Alamos was being decommissioned after the A bomb, all the scientists had safes with cipher locks. They found most of the scientists used "238" as their combination.
Why 238? U-235 is the common fissile isotope of Uranium (used in Little Boy). P-239 is the common fissile isotope of Plutonium (used in the Trinity Device and Fat Man). U-238 is naturally occurring uranium. It is not fissile but it's the starting point for enriching to U-235 and generating P-239.

Also, Los Alamos is still in operation today...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Sooooo....... this begs the question:

WHAT DO WE DO?

They have our login, email address, IP address, etc. But what do they do with it?

Not like some hacker is going to login to the site here pretending to be me. So what good does changing a password here do?

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I'm not changing my pw unless forced and even then I'd have no qualms changing it back again... If it were my bank thats another story ;)

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
Why 238? U-235 is the common fissile isotope of Uranium (used in Little Boy). P-239 is the common fissile isotope of Plutonium (used in the Trinity Device and Fat Man). U-238 is naturally occurring uranium. It is not fissile but it's the starting point for enriching to U-235 and generating P-239.

Also, Los Alamos is still in operation today...

Sorry, you're right, 235.

·
Premium Member
10,807 Posts
Not true. Unless you mean that technically, eventually, a super computer could break any password, given an infinite amount of time.
they already can break any password. that why they are able to hack these companies and the government. and thats why the gov has people constantly monitoring their stuff and changing passwords all the time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts