Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had ordered the same cam to replace my whipped out one. The Ford Racing A312 cam is great. Then... my nature takes over and I start looking through the Summit Catolog. I found the Crane grind with 216/228 degrees and .484/.512 and 114 degees separation. More cam than what I had, but less than the Performer RPM cam.

What the heck, I would never know unless I tried it. I called Summit and changed my order.

Thank God I don't have the same wandering desires in my marriage that I have with my car./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Thats the same cam family I'm about to order.....I think I'm going with the next step up, but I'm building a 351 and have a mild stall.

Long time ago, I built a 351C with a single pattern comp 280, which had 230 net intake duration...never had a complaint with low end power. Overall, I didn't care for that cam, but I know the net duration of my future setup will be streetable!

·
Registered
19,967 Posts
That cam should work well with your Performer RPM manifold. BTW, you should check Summit's own brand. They are made by Crane, the same as the Ford Motorsport cams. I'm going to be stepping up to the Summit version of the A312 cam. Same cam, made by the same company, Crane, but less money!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I should add on stock windsor heads the dual pattern cams will probably make up much of the ground lost by the weak windsor exhaust ports....I bet you made a good choice!!!

Also, a distributor with it's mechanical advance curve dialed in for heavier cams than stock will probably make a significant difference....I'm using a factory duraspark unit with non-stock advance springs and expect good results (I'm sure that was a definite factor in the performance I got with the comp I had, but I'm still going dual pattern this time....I want no chance of improper exhaust breathing!)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a similar setup as yours. What is your 1/4 mile e.t.? I was at Great Lakes Dragaway yesterday and I feel I can compete with some of those street cars.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Matt, great to hear from another guy in S.E. Wisconsin. I have yet to have the car to the track. I did some runs with a G-Tech back when I had a C4 and a Performer intake. I was in the 14.6 range. I did not have a chance to do any G-Tech runs since I installed the T5.

I plan to hit Great Lakes once I get this thing back together. I am thinking low 14's.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
With a T5, you should be OK...otherwise, I'd say a bit much duration for a near stock CR and 3.55's...

Remember to check everything thoroughly for metal particles from the cam failure...if you need advice on installing and breaking in the new cam, post...

Let us know how it all works out!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wow!! My e.t. with a G-Tech was 14.59 @ 98.7 mph. Very similar. I didn't have the engine perfectly tuned when I reached those numbers. Now it's running perfect, but the car is being stripped. I can't drive it this summer. A day at the drags gave me the real kick in the ass to get back on the project today. Let me know when you take it to the track, I'll meet you there. It's always nice to watch and learn when you don't have a car ready to run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts