Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked this before and thought i was going to change the whole thing, but the more i think about it i dont know. :: I want your opinions on what you would do if it was your show car.
The pass side 1/4 panel has 3 inch hole in front of the rear wheel. The back has had two seperet lower patches put on. Also the lip around the wheel well is dented in a few spots. I have a new full 1/4 for that side. I know some have mentioned that the lines on a new one may not be as sharp and also that the side scopes may not fit right, but i tested the side scopes and they seem close. (i have pictures in my gallery) So i was going to go a head and try to change the whole thing, but i dont know now it seems like a huge task. I melted the lead out of the roof seem and it looks like it is impossible to seprate the two peices. Then what do you do where the 1/4 meets the rocker? Besides i am conserned that the metal is thinner and the lines might not be as sharp as the original. ( i can't tell this but you guys have done more then i and would know) The problem i have with only doing part is first what to do with the weld seem in the trunk? Second how do i know were it belongs? The trunk drop off was replaced, and i dont know how far it is really suposed to extend down. I cant use the other side as a reference as that side has been replaced two. :wall:

I know someone here that shows their cars must have had to replace these so what did you do? :: I want it too look good when it is done and i want to be able to do it my self.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are you planing on showing this car as a concours car? I personaly would replace it, but to me that is the easy part.
At the rocker it is spotwelded inside and you can get to them by removing the quarter window and interior panel. as far as a weld seem in the trunk I have run into none that are welded but the are usualy brazed and spotwelded. If you take the time to carefully measure and take alot af pictures I am sure you can do it yourself. Just take your time and be patient and all show go as planned.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you planing on showing this car as a concours car?
Yes
as far as a weld seem in the trunk I have run into none that are welded but the are usualy brazed and spotwelded.
That would be the weld seem that i would have to put in if i only replaced the lower part of the 1/4.

So you think i should do a full replacement.

·
Registered
693 Posts
You are right about it being a lot of work to carefully remove the old quarter. But what I don't think you know is that it is a lot more work to get a patched quarter to "look" right. If you patch, be prepared for LOTS of sanding. Full quarter replacement, when done right hides most of your work at factory attaching points. Lots less finishing work should be required.
My vote would be full quarter,( Who would have guessed?) more work at the start, less work at the end.

BTW- drill the factory spotwelds first. Using a thin blade carpet type knife and a small (3lb) hand held sledge seemed to cause the least amount of damage to the surrounding panels. :D

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of good questions
and concerns. As with any project you will be
much better off planning ahead.
If you haven't done much metal work I would
suggest repairing your quarter panel to get a feel
for metal work and refinishing, you can always
replace the full quarter later on.
I have been around some body shops and have seen
some of the problems the experts get into trying
to fit a NOS quarter panel in some cases let alone
a repro that can really be a challenge.
Everyones abilities to tackle a job is different,
whats difficult for me to do may be a easy job for you.
Replacing a full quarter is a big job, I would start
with smaller jobs and you will gain experience to then
take on the bigger ones.
I am not trying to discourage you, just some thought.
Good luck, keep us imformed of your progress.
Steve

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well at this time i have patched the floor, battery apron, cowl and shock towers. I think my abilities have gotten better as i have gone along but i have yet to weld something that can be seen on both sides. I but welded the battery apron but the side under the fender isnt very nice. Which im not really woried about becouse it would be hard to see. Doing a partial on the 1/4 would allow you to see both sides and i cant imagine how you can get it perfictly flat that you cant see the seem on one side or the other. I guess one of these days i will get out there and do the whole thing. :chainsaw:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts