Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. After posting pics of my "weird looking" power steering pump last week, and everyone telling me that it was wrong for my car, I bought a new one today.

I have never changed a power steering pump before, and the new one doesn't come with the pulley on it.
Sooooo how do I get the old pulley off and installed on the new one? It came with a "pulley installation kit" that looks to be a bolt of some sort and a thick washer. I have not had time to read about it, so I thought I would ask for advice here.

Thanks guys and gals...

Full Throttle
http://homepages.go.com/~ful_throttle/fullthrottle.gif

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Contact auto parts stories in the area. For $5-10, they will swap the pulley. The swap takes about 5 minutes.

"What we have here is--failure to communicate."

'67 GTA (clone) coupe soon to be 5.0L w/Edelbrock 1406

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
With my 351W swap, I had to use a different ps pump. And it of course didn't come with a pulley. I went to the local Kragen, and they don't rent tools. But, I left a deposit and when i returned the puller, I got the entire deposit back. So, it didn't cost a thing to pull 'er off.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a rebuilt pump for my son's car at Auto Zone, they swapped the pulley for free. All auto parts places vary, this one in Huntington Beach is staffed by friendly smart Old Farts. I sent a letter of thanks to the company naming names of the guys who helped me, insisting that they get some recognition.

"When you hear pounding hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." - Dr. Harold Slavkin, Dean USCSD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts