Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All drum manual, single reservoir, changing to dual. Any big deal? I know I need to custom bend new front brake lines. But what else?

Thanks,

·
Registered
861 Posts
Use a 74 Maveric cylender for all drum brakes. These units work fine and are cheaper then a mustang cylender.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Here's how I did it using a 67 MC and distribution block, cheap conversion (got the parts free from fellow VMFers!) and works great. There's other ways to do it too, do a search on the forum and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about the conversion! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I am doing this same conversion on my 65. I have a 67 daul resv. m/c, 67 m/c to dist. block lines, a 65 dist. block. I plumbed the rear serv. to the front fitting of the dist. block, using the 67 line and bending it to fit. I took the front to rear brakes line and bent it a bit to go up towards the m/c, then took the 67 front resv. line and bent it down towards the rear brake line. I then got a brass coupler (brake line only - got to use those flare fitting threads!)and a reducer bushing so that the rear brake line would thread into it. I don't know if everything works right, cause I am having a world of hurt with the new brake drums - turned out they are the wrong size from the manufacturer. Right now, I have to put the C4 in neutral to come to a stop as the brakes will not hold against the trans if the auto choke is engaged. I am using the 67 m/c push rod. Seemed like the same size as the 65, in terms of length from the firewall. Maybe that is my problem because the brake pedal just about lays on the floor in order to stop the car. At least the lines hook up and don't leak!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
It's "disc" dude ! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts